Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Nightmares. I've never had them before in my whole life. I wake up screaming this morning though, I even wake Justin up, who quickly gets out of bed and rushes to my side. "What happened?" He asks me. I'm breathing heavily now, but after a couple of seconds I catch my breath again.

"Nothing," I tell him. "It was just a nightmare." He's obviously confused, he's looking at me the way he always looks at somebody when he's confused. His head tilts slightly to his right, he squints his eyes a bit, and his shoulders slack.

"In the 17 years that you were alive, I've never once heard you say you had a nightmare," he tells me.

"Yeah, I know," I quickly reply. "I was just thinking the same thing."

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"Do I ever want to talk about anything?" I ask him, I never do. "What time is it anyways?" He pulls out his cheap phone to check the time.

"It's about to be 4:30, and if you don't want to talk about it, go back to sleep." As soon as he tells me this, he immediately gets up and goes back to his bed.

"Okay, good morning." I tell him. He quietly laughs, closes his eyes, and in a few minutes he's lightly snoring once again. But the problem is, I can't fall asleep. Partly because of his snoring, any noise wakes me up when I'm trying to fall asleep, but also because I keep thinking about my nightmare. I remember it so vividly, I doubt that's natural. I would've even told Justin about it, but the nightmare seemed too... unrealistic and unbelievable.

I was in front of a huge building, a church actually, I was never really into religion, so I became an atheist, and that didn't really help me with getting on my dad's good side, but he says mom also wanted me to be an atheist before she died. She said it would be better for me not to be in religion like dad is.  

The church had not only steps, but a slope that led to a couple of big doors that were the entrances as well. There were stained glass windows all around the church, and it seemed to be a three-story building.

After the third floor, the structure curved inward as it went higher and higher, until there was enough room only for it to hold the bell that was on the top of it and the grand clock above that as well. Then there was a roof in the shape of a pyramid, and a cross on the very top. There were two smaller pillars to the side of it, with the same design, and in the back there was an even bigger one, except it was completely white and had a golden cross instead.

The clock was just about to strike twelve o'clock in a minute, and that was when I realized that this was the church I was baptized in. I looked around, there was nothing visible but the church itself, it was dark, too dark. Then, just as the bell made a deep, loud ringing sound, a huge thump shook the earth. The clocks stroke twelve.

As soon as that happened, the sky turned from a dark shade of blue into an even darker shade of purple, the clouds thickened, and the earth started shaking. There were holes opening in the earth, and from them hands were coming out. I wasn't scared though, I was just confused, but I knew that I shouldn't stay and that it was dangerous, so I ran to the entrance, since it seemed to be the only place I could run to.

Everything was moving slowly now, a second felt like two seconds now, I could tell because I was counting the intervals between ticking noise of the clock's third hand. It's as if I were running out of time. Then, when I was just at the foot of the staircase, I heard thunder, lightning flashed, and then suddenly, standing in front of me was Jake.

"What are you running from?" Jake asked me with a confused expression. "They're not going to hurt you; you’re the one who called for them." He was now pointing at the herd of zombies, and that's when I realized that they weren't zombies. They looked like the average human, except they all had dreadful purple eyes.