Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Rumbling. That’s the only thing heard as the ground shakes, a sure sign that demons are rising from the ground, at least that’s what Zen told me exactly a week ago after the meeting held between him, Skylar and I. According to him the news will most likely declare it to have just been an earthquake, not a big one though since the shaking isn’t as bad as I first imagined.  

As the rumbling continues the few birds that still haven't migrated yet are seen flying away from the clear fields which I'm now very familiar with, one of the many reasons I've been stationed here during this battle. The once beautiful fields are now completely deprived of any form of life, instead there's just snow and dead trees. Even though it's the middle of the day the sun, covered from view by clouds, is soon to set as well.

I look around the fields for Jake, but he is still nowhere to be found. He has been missing ever since I last saw him when he dematerialized in front of me; David and Bryson are here though, just as planned, and they've both gotten up with me and are ready to fight. Zen is at my house with Justin, invisible though, so that he may defend him if any demon were to try to attack him. Skylar is also there but she's far from the house, close enough so that she may see it and teleport to Zen if any demons were summoned around the neighborhood though.   

Skylar and I also hold the responsibility of teleporting to each other in case we have any news to report to the other team, such as reinforcements, or any deaths. But I doubt that will be necessary since our main task is to heal our teammates and constantly keep summons around to help fight off the demons.  

I followed Zen's advice from seven days back on Saturday, meaning I rested on Sunday, trained on with Skylar both Monday and Tuesday, and rested well on Thursday, and this is the second day that we've been waiting in our assigned spots, Bryson, David and I at the same place that I learned to control my powers, Skylar on a hill far from my house, and Zen at my house. Skylar and my group all brought a portable refrigerator with ice for drinks, and a basket filled with food to last a long time, since we all actually slept in our assigned spots, but Zen just stuck to eating the food at my house and laying on the couch while invisible.

David, Bryson and I are supposed to stay in the woods, far from civilization, so that people that aren't involved with this battle would not get involved. It's also easier for Bryson and David to keep an eye on me and make sure I don't get attacked if I'm standing on plain fields.

While being stuck here all day yesterday, and half of today as well, I got to learn more about both Bryson and David, since I've never actually spoken with them that much since we've met. I learned that David isn't the brightest out of the whole group but considers himself a fatherly figure, since he's the oldest out of us at thirty-one, and that although he has his own house and works as a construction worker, he never actually went to a college, although I still wonder how that worked out. I also learned that David also has a power that is considered special among the Fallen, even though it's the most common rare power, David apparently has super strength.  

I also learned that Bryson and Jake both don't have any special powers like Zen, Skylar, David and I, and that he's actually considered one of the weakest of the Fallen. Academically however, Bryson is in fact a sophomore and he's a straight C student  except to his language class, in which he has an A. Upon asking him why I learned that Bryson has always learned to fluently speak other languages quickly, and is fluent to English, French, Italian, and Spanish, he's also currently learning to speak German. I tried to convince him that it's great that he could speak these other languages, but he doesn't really find it a useful skill.  

I once again begin to wonder if Jake would show up any time soon, since he's greatly help with the actual battle, increasing our chances to win. But my thoughts are interrupted when I see the first demon on the other side of the fields, and once it sees us, it lets out a yell loud enough to be heard from half a mile away, and I assume that it's calling out for it's friends. I take the opportunity to also call out for support, and I place my right hand on the ground.