Chapter 8

Chapter 8 

Boring. The next couple of weeks, things are normal.   

School doesn't change, I'm still stuck babysitting on the weekdays, and the relationship between Jake and I progresses rather slowly. We watched a movie one Saturday night, but other than that, we only see each other in school. He tried to make me start practicing my powers once, but I never felt it necessary, and instead I ignored his request.

I would let Jake drive me to school each morning, but if that happened, I would have bought the truck for no reason, and would probably have to give it to dad, who has to take the train to work each morning. I paint the car so that it doesn't look like I bought it ten years ago, but I keep it black, since I liked the color to begin with. I also put in a new radio, changed the wheels, and I brought it to a garage to get everything else that was wrong with it fixed, but now that I'm finally done getting the car fixed, I'm completely out of money, and the truck still turns off on me every once in a while.  

Jake offers me some money every now and then, since he seems to have so much, but no matter how many times he offers me money, I absolutely refuse to take it from him. Dad says it's because I have too much pride, and that I got that from my mother. He's right too, it actually is because I'm too proud that I won't accept money from Jake, although he'll probably never actually understand that. 

Today I've decided to look for an actual job, so as soon as I wake up, shower, brush my teeth, and put on my favorite outfit, I grab the keys from atop my drawers and just as I'm about to head outside to my car, a hand gets a hold of my shoulder.    

"Where are you going?" dad asks me.   

"I'm gonna go look for a job," I tell him as I begin to turn around. "What are you doing up this early?" When I face him I notice that he's already ready to go out. He's wearing black jeans, black dress shoes, a plain white shirt under a black unbuttoned shirt, and his silver watch. "And where are you going all dressed up?" 

"I have a date," he tells me while smiling, which is something he rarely ever does. Maybe I got that from him?  

"You haven't had a date in years!" I reply. 

"Shocked?"  

"Obviously!" I really am too, and anybody could easily tell from my reaction. "Who is she? Do I know her? Did you just meet her?" I'm prepared to ask a billion other questions, but he stops me before I could continue. 

"You don't know her, she's from when I was a plumber years ago, we've kept in touch, and she might even be able to get me my job back!" He laughs at the last part, as if it's something funny. "But don't mind me, just go and look for your job, good luck by the way." 

"That's great dad, and thanks a lot!" I tell him as I turn and open the door. "And good luck with your date." I tell him as I close the door. 

As soon as I get into the truck and slam the door behind me, since it's been having troubles closing lately, I put on my seatbelt, turn the truck on, and just sit in it for a while until it finishes heating up, listening to music while doing so. It finally finishes and I back up out of the driveway, making sure to look both sides for incoming cars, finally I drive away from the house, still thinking about dad and his date. 

While driving around I realize that I have no experience in searching for a job. What am I supposed to do? Am I supposed to just drive around looking for a place with a 'Help Wanted' sign? Or am I supposed to walk in myself and ask for an application? Deciding that both are too much work to try out, I decide to text Angelica and ask her what she did, so when I get to the next red light, I start texting her.