Epilogue

Author's Note: Sorry it's been a bit, this chapter's just been sitting there and I didn't want to release two chapters together.

I don't remember if I mentioned this or not, but the locket Syl has is Sylvia's, and she was given it because she had become good friends with Sylvia.

So enjoy. One day I'll edit this. Not swearing though.

-----------------

Epilogue

            In the end, I did find out who was wandering the tunnels of the Order of the Gears. Henry. He had been aware of the organization since he first came to work here because of the multiple entrances, and had come down there that day because I had managed to set off an alarm (intrusion and all).

            But that’s beside the point. A year has passed since the incident at the wedding.

            The War ended half a year ago thanks to one thing: a hostage. Pyro couldn’t take that their princess was now in the hands of the enemy and ready to be killed at any time so a truce was formed. What had that War been about? I’ve long forgotten.

            It turns out that the real princess was indeed dead. A month after the wedding, a few people were asked to take her grave and give her a proper funeral. After a DNA check, it definitely was her (hey, I wasn’t too certain). The Queen locked herself in her room for weeks till the funeral, but looked more at peace than ever afterwards.

            I explained to Freed that I wasn’t his actual Rider and he snorted in my face before flying back to his pen.

            I stayed in the palace. Marko didn’t pester me over being his sister, but he was bothering me over, well, Tom told him something or other. He also told the Queen and his own parents, and all three of them had given me this look for a minute before approving.

            And what about Tom, now that I mention him?

            “Syl, are you coming or not?”

            “I’m getting ready!”

            “I’m not going to wait forever!”

            The door flew open and I jumped, picking up the nearest thing and throwing it.

            “That wasn’t very nice,” Tom smirked, waving around the book he easily caught.

            “Next time you do that, it’ll be my screwdriver,” I frowned. “Right through the forehead.”

            “You wouldn’t,” Tom feigned sadness, grabbing my waist and hoisting me over his shoulder. “You best be glad you’re dressed.”

            “Let me down!” I kicked my legs and good thing too, because I managed to hit him, making him drop me.

            “I still don’t understand why you won’t move out of this room,” he grumbled, rubbing his stomach.

            “I like it,” I smiled, grabbing my bag. “What’s wrong with that?”

            “What’s wrong is that we’re engaged and I was kind of hoping you’d move into my room,” he said.

            “Really? We’re engaged? I couldn’t tell with us arguing like it’s still last year,” I faked my surprise, laughing.

            “Yeah, really funny,” he rolled his eyes, but I could see a smile tugging at the corner of his lips. “Now can we go?”

            “Fine,” I said, walking past him before backtracking.

            “What?”

            “You were so going to smile,” I said before stretching up, kissing him.

            “Well now I am,” he laughed, returning the favor.

            We’re going to be late, aren’t we?

            ****

            I let out a breath, my hand gripping Tom’s. We had traveled a long way, for a few hours actually getting to the next town by us.

            “Nervous?” he asked.

            “Very much,” I stood stiffly. “I don’t think I’m ready for this, I’d rather –”

            He rapped on the wooden door sharply, giving me a shrewd smile. “Too late~”

            “Wait, but –”

            “Yes, coming!”

            I felt myself stiffen even more, my entire body wanting to run. I wasn’t ready for this, not yet, I should’ve waited –

            The door opened with a small squeak, and I had the urge to whip out an oil can and fix that gear. I laughed to myself at my impulse, relaxing slightly.

            A woman had opened the door, an apron still on, her hands covered in flour.

            “P-Prince Tom! Please, come in!” she said, moving aside.

            “Thank you,” he smiled, pushing me gently inside. It was a normal sized house for middle class workers, the inside making me feel like I was wrapped in my favorite blanket, all nice and warm. “It’s very nice in here. Is your husband home?”

            “Oh yes!” she jumped slightly, calling upstairs. “Reggie!”

            The thump of footsteps and suddenly from a corner appeared a man. He stopped shortly when he spotted Tom.

            “Welcome to our home. Would you like something to eat?” he asked with a gentle smile, wrinkles forming at the eyes.

            “No thank you,” Tom replied. “I’m sorry for intruding on your home so suddenly. We haven’t even introduced ourselves.”

            “My name is Reginald Magnet, and this is my wife Ellie,” he said.

            “You know who I am, but this is my fiancée, Syl.”

            My parents, at least in looks, haven’t changed much.

            ****

            “So I was thinking that since you always steal my food, it’ll be food themed, but then I won’t let you have any.”

            “You know, it’s still a year away.”

            “Oh, I know. Damn, this food is good!”

            Two days later. Riles was sitting beside me in the palace dining hall, eating her heart out. Marko was watching her in awe as Riles stuffed food down her throat with ease. Meanwhile, the Queen was conversing with Tom’s parents.

            “So it’s all good with your parents?” Riles asked, finally swallowing.

            “Yeah,” I smiled.

            “That means we have everyone’s consent and in a year…” Tom smiled, letting himself trail off.

            “Yup~”

            I would’ve never believed you if you told me that a year and a few months ago, I’d get over my phobia and get into a relationship, not to mention with a prince! And I never would’ve imagined that I would end up having to catch an imposter. Back then, all I expected was two months planning a wedding then going back to the Engineer Hall. All the things that have happened…

            It only took one fall to change my life in a way I never would’ve expected. I wouldn’t have it any other way.