Chapter 12

Author's Note: Block. Still here bro.

So this time, there won't be a set date. The new chapter will come once I write it. Sorry D:

Enjoy, vote and comment please!

---------------------------------

“Bad dragon!”

            Maybe I should’ve thought it through before speaking.  

            Freed instantly gave me a look, snorted some smoke, and came down onto four claws again. “Bad dragon,” I frowned, going up to the dragon. He looked rather indignant for being told off. “You could’ve hurt your Rider.”

            I emphasized that word so I could draw attention from myself. It would raise questions as to why this dragon listened to me but not the princess, who should be his Rider. I didn’t even know how to answer that!

            He snorted again, looking away. It was like he was telling me that Sylvia wasn’t his Rider.

            “You stubborn dragon,” I fake huffed. He smirked at me.

            “Syl… how are you…?” Sylvia asked slowly. “Have you met Luna before?”

            I have to choose my words carefully here. In fact, how about I just straight up lie? I was already in trouble, didn’t need to get in even deeper. I glanced to Freed quickly, “Yes.”

            So maybe I decided on the truth.

            “I guess I’m just really good with dragons,” I shrugged. “I saw him yesterday in the gardens, and he helped me get out.”

            Sylvia was giving me a look now.

            “That’s strange. Luna normally doesn’t listen to anyone, barely even Tom,” she said.

            “I’ve been told,” I smiled. “Are you alright?”

            “Fine,” she gave me a smile. “Luna, go back to the gardens.”

            He didn’t move. “Go back, will you? Got plans to make!” I said and Freed nodded, taking off. “Yeah, just good with dragons.”

            “That’s amazing though!”

            ****

            I stumbled into my room, exhausted from just looking at all those rows of dresses. Sylvia had me stay a little later than normal, so I had dinner with them in the ball room. I haven’t seen Tom or Marko all day, and I wouldn’t be surprised if I woke up in the dungeons in the morning.

            ****

            The week passed and soon enough it was the weekend. I put on some casual clothes, a change from the week of more heavy-duty shirts and jeans. A light t-shirt in the color of sky blue and white jeans to go have my day out with Riles.

            I hadn’t seen Tom or Marko much for the week, though I can’t say I would’ve. The two have been cold whenever I had a job in their rooms, which seemed too often for my preferences. I don’t plan on apologizing though. I mean, why should I when they didn’t think any further than lunch and what others thought?

            “What?!” Riles shrieked when I told her of my week. “You fool, you should’ve -!”

            “Sh!” I looked around. We were eating ice cream outside and had already attracted looks from Riles’ outburst. “Don’t go yelling things like that!”

            “I mean, you fool, you should’ve said yes to marry the prince! Do you not see how hot he is?!” Riles whispered.

            “You’re the fool!” I replied. “For one thing, he’s the prince! I can’t go off marrying someone who’s already engaged, even if the princess may be an imposter!”

            I told her everything about my week. No secrets between us.

            She was opening her mouth to contradict my statement when we heard the loudest cheer we’ve ever heard. When our heads twisted to our left, there was a crowd of girls around two distinctive males. I strained my eyes a little closer and saw Tom and Marko.

            “Are those… the princes?!” Riles stood up, the table rattling and our ice cream almost falling over. “Make sure my ice cream doesn’t melt!”

            “Where are you going?” I asked.

            “To get a picture or an autograph, duh,” Riles rolled her eyes, hopping over the little fence that separated the café and the sidewalk. Well, I suppose the princes are the icons of Thorns, and they rarely did come onto the streets. They did go out, but only in the aristocratic area of our town.

            I let out a yawn under the warm sun, spooning in my mint ice cream. I kept Riles’ food under some shade, but I ate from it every now and then, her punishment for leaving me with more food.

            ****

            “Hey, Syl.”

            Riles tapped my shoulder, half confused, half proud that she was holding an autographed photo. I soon understood why she looked confused, “The princes want to talk to you.”

            “Uh, sure,” I shrugged and left Riles at the table. I heard her complain, “Hey! You ate all my ice cream!” but it was faint, and she should’ve seen it coming.

            “You called princes?” I raised an eyebrow. As much I would love to talk to them normally, I’d be mauled by the ladies surrounding us and the two guards that stood closely by them. “I’m sorry for being rude, but I’m on my day off, so I don’t be offended if I don’t agree to fix anything.”

            “Can you give us some space?” Marko waved his hands and in the blink of an eye, everyone was gone, including the guards. They were close, I could tell, watching through binoculars.

            “How are the wedding plan going?” Tom asked, albeit a little stiffly.

            My eyebrow rose a little more.

            “Fine,” I said slowly, not sure where this was going.

            “The princess is out today as well,” Marko said. “We thought she’d be with you.”

            “What gives you that impression?”

            “You’ve made friends with her, haven’t you?”

            “I suppose you can say so,” I said after some thought.

            “We’re tailing her to see if there’s any suspicious activity,” Tom explained.

            “And you’ve called me over from the wonderful shade because?” I asked.

            “We need your help,” Tom said. I looked back at Riles who waved at me with a new cup of ice cream. “We need you to go sneak into her room while we’re following her. You’ll have the most chance of getting away with it.”

            “…How?”

            “If someone catches you, then just say you were looking for a few wedding plans that she kept. If she comes in herself, say that you were looking for her and that her door was unlocked,” Tom said hurriedly. “Please?”

            He had pleading eyes, while Marko gave me the puppy dog look. I sighed, rubbing my temple.

            “Fine, fine!” I threw up my hands in exasperation from the pressure of the stares. “I’ll go!”

            “Thanks!” Marko grinned and threw his arms around me. Tom smiled and clapped my shoulder.

            Looks like I’ve been forgiven.