Chapter 7

Author's Note: I got me some horrible block.

4 Votes: July 18

Normality: July 20

-------------------------------------------

After finally, finally, finding my quarters, I decided to go join the rest of the Engineers in eating in the dining hall. There weren’t many to my surprise, only three.

            “Hey, you’re the new Engineer!” the bearded man, in his twenties, waved me over. I joined the three of them, the other two being pair of twins.

            “I’m Syl,” I quickly introduced myself.

            “Henry,” he nodded.

            “I’m Rika,” the girl, sixteen by the looks of it, smiled. “This is my brother, Reid. He doesn’t really talk, so don’t mind him.”

            I easily joined them in their discussion about which gear was the proper one to use in building a clock tower, and by the end of dinner, I had made three new friends. Okay, more like two, but Reid smiled and nodded every now and then.

            “We don’t really have a curfew, but it’s best if you didn’t stay up too late so that you can do whatever you need to tomorrow,” Rika, who turned out to be down the hall, explained to me. “Normally we start working around ten after breakfast. There are only four of us because not too many problems occur in the palace. You’ll have a list of things you need to do at your door every morning, just like at the Gear Hall.”

            “Are you guys permitted with weekends off?” I asked.

            “Oh yes, but you only get them if you ask,” Rika nodded. “We still need to visit our family.”

            “What about letters?”

            “If you write any, you can take them to the Royal mailman and he’ll get them sent,” Rika said. “If you need anything, don’t forget I’ll be just down a few doors. Good night, Syl.”

            “Good night,” I smiled and closed my door.

            ****

            Indeed, there was a list of repairs and designs on my door by the time I had come out at nine. Scrawled on were also the words, “Wedding planning duty at five.”

            I tore down the list and stuffed it into my pocket, along with my work gloves, and went down to our dinner hall. Rika was still half awake and chewing slowly on her muffin while Reid looked wide awake and was reading. I reminded myself to check out some of the books.

            Henry had just sat down with a plate of sausages. There was a cook that stood at the table that blocked the way to the back kitchen.

            “What would you like?” the cook asked.

            “Uh… just some plain toast and a glass of milk,” I said. “Thanks.”

            “Is Miss Syl here?”

            A male maid was at the entrance of the hall. “The Queen requests her presence at breakfast.”

            All three of them gave me this look of, “What?!”

            I drained my milk in one drink and took the toast off my plate.