Chapter 26

I sighed as I sat down on me bed, letting myself sink in the mattress.  It felt good to be home, especially after a long flight back.  Aria had fallen asleep on the way home, and I was too tired to take her upstairs, so she was curled up on my mushroom chair.  Much to my dismay, someone was walking up the gravel path to my door.  I was not in the mood for visitors.

"Come in!"  I called before they even knocked on the door.

"How did you know I was here?"  Zane asked, walking into my room.

"I heard you walking up."  He nodded and laid down next to me, wrapping his arms around my waist. "What's wrong?" I asked.

"Nothing, I'm just tired."  He replied, nuzzling into my neck.

"Okay."  I whispered, letting him rest.  He really did deserve it, he had worked hard to get everyone on the plane on time, which was a hard task.  Emma refused to leave her mothers house, she said, "I need to spend time with your grandmother, her son just died!"  I thought she just wanted to spend more time in England.  The time I spend in Europe was amazing, I had loved every second of it.  It was hard to believe it was already December.  I gasped as I sat straight up, jolting Zane awake.

"What's wrong?"  He asked, whipping his eyes.

"Wh...What day is it?"  I stuttered, starting to feel scared.

"Satur-"

"No, the date."

"December third, wh-"  I didn't let him finish.  I jumped off my bed and out the door, running through the yard.  The cold wind whipped at my face and bare arms, chilling me to the bone.  I kept running, through the open fence and down the street.  I gasped for air as I felt my legs start to weaken, but I kept running. I couldn't stop.  At the end of the street I turned left, already seeing the little cemetery come into sight.  This was where Mr. Angelo was buried, but I wasn't coming to visit him.  When I got there I ran to the back side of the gate, squeezing through the broken bars.  It wasn't open at this time of night.

I kept running, all the way to the big oak tree and bench.  That's where Zane gave me the necklace I never took off.  Just to the right was a tomb stone, when I saw it I burst into tears.  I fell to the ground just before it, gasping for breath and trying to calm down.  "I...I'm sorry."  I said in between gasps, "I didn't mean to forget your birthday."  When I could breathe again, I pulled myself to my knees, studying the tomb stone.  It said, 'Walter D. Watson, may he rest in peace."  I ran my fingers over the letters, flinching due to the cold stone.  "Hey dad."  I whispered, wiping the tears from my face, "I know you don't like it when I cry, so I'll try to stop."

"I'm really sorry I almost forgot your birthday.  I've been so busy lately, which I'm sure you know.  I just got back from England, I went with my boyfriend Zane.  You're probably scolding me for having a boyfriend, you always said I wasn't aloud to date until I was an old maid, but I think you were exaggerating."  I chuckled a little, "You would like him, he's really nice.  I...I think he's good for me.  He's fixing me, and maybe someday I'll be whole again.  Anyway, could you forgive me for forgetting?  I really didn't mean to, but I promise I'll be here on Christmas first thing in the morning."  I smiled a little, "Well, I need to go, it's late.  I'll talk to you later, love you."  I kissed my fingers and pressed them to the cold stone, willing myself not to break down into tears.

"Demitra!"  I turned to see Zane running towards me.  I stood slowly, taking in his appearance.  He looked really mad, "What do you think you are doing?!  It's less than thirty degrees out here and your wearing a tank top!"  He handed me my jacket, which I wrapped around my shoulders quickly to make him happy, "What are you doing out here at eleven o'clock at night, anyway?"

"It..It's my dads birthday, I always visit him on birthdays and holidays.  I almost for got."  I looked down at my feet, unable to look him in the face any longer.

"What are you kids doing here?!"  I gasped as I saw flash lights heading our way.

"Come on!"  I whispered, grabbing Zane's wrist and pulling him forward.  I let go after a few seconds, knowing he was right behind me.

"Where are you going?  The broken gate is this way!"  Zane hissed, but I kept running.  I could see the huge tomb stone coming into view, we were almost there.  I whipped around it, falling to my stomach and trying to calm my breathing.  Zane flopped next to me a minute later, so close to me our bodies were touching.

"Where did you kids go?!"  I head someone shout, the footsteps were getting closer.  I sucked in my breath as I saw the little lights dart around the sides of the tomb stone, lighting up the leaves.  I held my breath as I saw the persons shoe tips, poking from around the stone.  "Stupid kids..."  They muttered before walking away.  I waited until I couldn't hear the floor steps to breathe, and by that time I was light headed.

"Are you crazy?"  Zane gasped, obviously out of breath two.  I sighed and pushed myself to my feet, taking deep breaths, "We could of gotten in major trouble for being here this late!"

"I know that." I said, walking along the edge of the fence, "But we didn't."  Zane sighed and walked besides me, reaching for my hands.  I pushed his hands away and wrapped my arms around his neck, overwhelmed with emotion, "I almost forgot his birthday."  I choked out, pressing my forehead into Zane's chest.

"Shhh...it's okay."  Zane whispered in my ear, putting one hand on my head and the other around my waist, "He would've forgiven you."

"I don't think so."  I said, looking him in the eye.  He looked a little sad.

"I know so."  He whispered, kissing my cheek.  I smiled as my stomach erupted into butterflies.  "Are you okay?"  I nodded, sniffling a little.  Zane cupped my face, wiping my tears away with his thumb.  He smiled sadly at me.

"What?"  I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Nothing, I just feel bad for you.  I mean, you've lost so much, and gone through hell...I just wish I could make you better."

"You have."  I whispered, pressing my lips to his.  I felt excited as he kissed me back, wrapping his arms around my waist and lifting my off the ground slightly.  He ran his tongue along my bottom lip, asking for entrance.  I opened quickly, eager to deepen the kiss.  His tongue entered my mouth, exploring every inch of my mouth.  I pulled away, gasping for air as I felt light headed, I didn't want to stop.

"We better go."  Zane said, and I nodded.  He grabbed my hand, pulling me towards the hole in the gate.  The rest of the walk home was silent, we just enjoyed each others company.  When we reached Zane's house, the kitchen light was on.  "I wonder who's up." Zane said, pushing open the door.  Emma came running out of the dining room dressed in a robe.

"Oh thank God, there you are!"  She said, placing a hand over her chest.  I laughed, earning a glare from Mrs. Angelo.

"I'm really sorry, Emma."  I said, placing a hand on her shoulder, "But today was my dads birthday and I almost forgot it.  I ran out of here without telling anyone and Zane followed me to the cemetery. I'm so sorry."

"Well don't go again without telling me!  And I hope next time you go it's light outside." She scolded, but her facial features softened.  She had already forgiven us.

"Don't worry mom, we'll make sure to tell you."  Zane said, hugging his mom and kissing her on the cheek, "I'm going to bed, I'll see you in the morning."

"Wait Zane, Demi, I need to talk to you."  Her eyes glazed over, and she looked like she was thinking hard.  I held back my questions as I followed her into the dining room, "Sit down, please."  She said, gesturing at the chairs.  Me and Zane sat down next to each other, watching as she paced back and forth.  "I...I don't know how to tell you..."

"Mom, just say it."  Zane said.  I could tell he was just as worried as me.

"Well..."  She hesitated, looking us in the eyes, "I want to move back to England."