Chapter 17

I blinked at Emma, staring at her like she was crazy.  Why wouldn't I go see a movie with Zane?  But then again, she didn't know about our..moment.

"Sure, I'll go."  I said, trying to stay casual.  My cheeks didn't seem to get the memo, though.  They were soon bright red.

"Great!"  She replied without taking her eyes off the road.

"Aria go see movie top!"  Aria exclaimed, clapping her hands together.

"Not this time sweetie." Her mom cooed, attempting to keep her little girl calm.

"But I wanna go with Demi!"  I turned to face the pouting toddler with a kind smile.

"I promise I'll take you to see a move soon, okay?"  She smiled at me and turned back to her Dora doll.  I sighed and looked out the window, resting my head on the glass.  We drove the last block in silence; the only sound was the car motor.  When we got home I hopped out of the car and ran inside, eager to tell Zane.  I burst in the room and was about to jump on his bed, when I noticed he wasn't alone.

Austin and Hannah were sitting on Zane's couch, watching him sleep.  When they saw me, they pressed their fingers to their lips, telling me to be quiet.  I nodded and slowly crept forward, sitting down next to Hannah.  She wrapped her arms around me tight and squeezed her back.

"I haven't seen you since the potluck!"  She whispered in my ear.  I immediately felt guilty, they didn't know I wasn't a Christian.

"I know, I'm sorry.  It's just that, I'm not exactly a Christian..." I muttered, adverting my gaze to the cream carpet.

"I know that, silly."  She pulled back to look me in the eye, her blue eyes shinning.  I smiled at her but inside I was frowning.

"Then why do you expect me to go to church?"  She placed a finger to her chin, like she was thinking.  It was silent for a while, and I started to think she really was contemplating it and not just acting like Hannah.

"You could come to youth group!"  She exclaimed, a little louder than she should have.  Zane sturred on the bed and Austin slammed his hand over her mouth.  Her eyes widdened but she didn't say anything.  I smirked at them, their position was funny.  Austin had one hand around her waist, laying across her belly, and one hand over her loud mouth.  Because of the way his hands were positioned, Hannah had to lay back on Austin with her head rested on his shoulder.

"Isn't that the same thing?"  I asked, raising my eye brows.  Hannah shook her head vigorously, causing her hair to hit Austin in the face.  He ignored it.

"Not all the time."  He said, "You should come this Wednesday, we're going ice skating."  I sucked in my breath.  A church event?  It wasn't exactly my scene.

"I don't know...I'm not good at ice skating."  Truthfully, I hadn't been since I was eight years old, but I fell a lot and that was enough to turn me off forever.  Hannah's eyes got even bigger, if that was possible, as she bit Austins hand.  He pulled back from her immediately, hissing in pain.

"You should still come!  Zane can help you."  She winked at me, causing me to blush.  Did everyone know?  "Oh my gosh I knew it!"  She exclaimed, turning to Austin, "I told you they liked each other!"

"Dang."  I muttered under my breath, curse me and my red cheeks.

"But seriously,"  Hannah said, turning round to face me, "Will you please go ice skating with our youth group?"  I bit my lip as I rubbed my arm, feeling nervous.  It was just ice skating, what harm could it do?

"....Alright."  I muttered, giving in to Hanahs puppy dog eyes.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!"  She exclaimed, wrapping her arms around my waist and placing her head on my chest.