Chapter 16

I groaned as I slapped the clock, silencing the annoying beeping.  Thursday morning, great!  I hated school.  As I slipped off Zanes couch, I looked at his sleeping face.  He looked so peaceful and cute, I couldn't help but smile.  As I walked into the bathroom to take a shower, I let my thoughts wander.  And guess where they went?  Last night.  I smiled wider as I stepped into the shower, sighing as the water hit my shoulders.

I couldn't believe Zane had actually kissed me.

The second his lips hit mine, my whole body was on fire.  My fingers tingled as I wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling my body closer.  He smelt like peppermint, probably from his peppermint gum.  It only lasted a second before he pulled away.  His eyes shone like he was happy, but he looked nervous.  I laughed, and his eyes narrowed into a glare.  Before he could say anything I stood on my tip toes and kissed his cheek, something I normally wouldn't do.

Before the kiss, I wasn't sure if I liked him or not.  I had never had feelings for anyone before, probably because I didn't think I could trust them.  But I could trust Zane, and I liked him.  A lot.

Me and Zane sat up for another hour talking, probably later than we should have.  I explained how I wouldn't be his sister, just that his mom and dad would be in charge of me.  His relief when I told him that made me laugh, he was just so cute. 

I stepped out of the shower, throwing on a pair of black jeans and a tight blue tank top.  I wore short sleeves now, because the Angelos had taught me well.  I didn't have to hide my scar, because I no longer cut.  Honestly, they were the best thing that ever happened to me.  They brought me to Zane.

I walked out of the bathroom and grabbed my back pack off the floor, swinging it over my shoulder.  One last look at Zane, and I walked out the door.  Aira ran up to me, holding her arms out forme to pick her up.  I scooped her into my arms and ran down the stairs, careful not to trip.  Everyone was up already, eating breakfast.  I set Aria on the ground and she ran to her mother, pulling on her jeans for some food.

"Morning."  I said, smiling at everyone.

"Good morning, dear."  Emma said, handing me a piece of toast.  I took it and took a bite before setting it down on my plate so I could butter it.

"Morning Demi."  James said, patting my shoulder.  I looked at him, raising an eyebrow.  He normally didn't acknowledge my presence.  He smiled at winked at me while mouthing, "I know."  I felt my cheeks flush as I ducked my head, trying to hide my face.  He really could hear everything.

"I'm walking to school."  I said, grabbing my toast and heading to the door.

"Are you sure?  We're about to leave, I can drive you." Will said, peaking out from behind his news paper.  Thin rimmed glasses were balanced on the edge of his nose.

"I'm sure.  See you later!"  I called over my shoulder, closing the door behind me.  The warm spring air hit my face, and I smiled.  It felt good to be outside, where everything felt free.  I loved the outdoors, especially this kind of weather.  I made my way down the street, passing my old house on the way.  It had yellow caution tape around it, and looked deserted.  The cops still hadn't found my father, but I was okay with that.  The Angelo household was safe, and I was secure. 

For possibly the first time in my life, I was going to be alright.  I was sure of it.

The walk to my school took me about fifteen minutes, and I slipped into the doors just as the first bell was ringing.  I sighed in relief; I was going to be on time, kinda.  I started to speed walk through the hallways to homeroom, hoping Mrs. Beckum wouldn't give me detention.  Just as I was about to make it to class, hands grabbed me from behind.  I tried to scream but their hand was clasped over my mouth, muffling it.  I was wrestled into an empty class room by my kidnapper, and by that point I was really scared.

"What the-"  I was cut off as I saw who it was, "Katie!"  I exclaimed, lunging in her direction.  She smiled and wrapped her hands around me, squeezing me like a melon.

"I've missed you!"  She said into my damp hair.

"I've missed you, too."  I said, pulling out of out embrace to examine her.  Her black hair flowed loosely around her shoulders, mixing with her bright blue sun dress.  She wore a black tank top under it, a black belt, and black flip flops.  "Nice outfit."

"Thanks!  My mom helped me pick it out!"  She exclaimed, but then her eyes darkened, "Oh my, I'm so sorry!  I don't know what I was thinking and-"  I held up a hand to silence her.  I knew what she was trying to do, and it was sweet, but I really didn't care anymore.

"Kat, it's okay, I don't care if you talk about your mom."

"Are you sure?  It used to make you sad.."

"I'm sure, I'm really fine with it."  I smiled, trying to reassure her.  Her expression grew blank as she placed a hand on my shoulder, causing me to take a step back.  She stared into my eyes, without blinking, for about a minute, until she clapped her hands together and smiled.

"So what happened?"  She looked like she was going to explode.

"Um..."  I said, rubbing one arm, "The Angelos are getting custody of me."  I smiled at the end, becoming happy all over again.

"That's great Demi!"  She exclaimed, hugging me again, "Now tell me what else happened."  Darn, she new me to well.

"Nothing."  I lied.  My voice cracked.

"Tell me."  She glared at me and if looks could kill, I swear her's would.

"Fine."  I huffed, crossing my arms over my chest.  "Zane kissed me."  She screamed so loud, I thought my ear drums exploded.

"Shhhh!"  Just then the door flew open.

"What do you girls think you are doing?!"  The janitor exclaimed, "Get in your classes  before I call the principle!"  Shit. Me and Katie ran from the room, leaving an angry man behind us.

-----------------------------------------

School went surprisingly fast, before I knew it I was waiting for Mrs. Angelo to pick me up.

"Hey."  I said, walking up to Katie.  She smiled and waved, and I could tell she was about to burst.

"He kissed you!?"  She exclaimed.  I smiled,

"Yeah...."  I could feel my cheeks beginning to grow red.

"You're so lucky!  The new British kid fell for you!"  I smiled bigger,

"Yeah...."  I seemed to be saying that a lot lately.

Honk.

I spun around to see Mrs. Angelo in her van, waiving at me.

"Bye Katie, I have to go."  I gave her a quick hug and then sprinted for the car.  Emma didn't like it when I took to long.

"Hey, Emma."  I said, buckling my seat belt, "Hey, Aria." 

"Demi!"  Aria screamed, throwing her hands in the air.  I smiled.

"Where are the boys?"

"They went to a friends house for the evening." Emma said, pulling out of the parking lot, "How was school?"  How sweet, she was acting like a mother.  It would never be the same as if she was actually my mom, but it was nice to know she cared.

"Great, I don't have very much homework." I said cheerfully, picking up the Sonic drink she had so kindly bought for me.

"Oh I'm glad to hear that! could you do me a favor then?" 

"Sure!"  I was more than happy to help her, "What is it?"

She glanced at me before looking back to the road. "Would you go see a movie with Zane?  He's been so bored lately."

Would I go on a date with her son?  Hell yes.