Chapter 1

"Demitra, come down stairs.  Dinner is ready!"

I groan as I set my phone down my my side.  Why couldn't my mom leave me alone?  When I actually craved alone time, that was when she actually decided to be a mother.  Typical.

"I'm not hungry."  I responded, covering my face with my hands.

"Demitra Marie Watson, get down here right now young lady!  You didn't eat breakfast or lunch, you are going to eat dinner!"  She screeched, and I could practically hear the anger dripping from her done.  Of course she wasn't worried that I hadn't consumed more then a drop of water that day, only that I had dared to resist her command.

"Fine!"  I yelled, jumping off my bed. "Bitch.."  I muttered under my breath.  Taking as much time as possible, I grabbed my phone and typed a quick text to my friend, Katie, to let her know where I went.

"Demi!"  My dad yelled.  Crap, my stepdad was calling me.  This was serious.  I practically ran down the stairs, not wanting the punishment for not hurrying.  I already knew there was going to be one later for taking so long.  Rounding the corner, I saw a huge meal in front of me.  Ham, mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce...

"Who died?"  I asked, sitting down in my chair.  In my house, on those very rare occasions that we ate together, we had assigned seats.  At first I hadn't known why, but I soon discovered my stepfather was a controlling bastard.

"No one, silly."  My mom replied, scooping some mashed potatoes on her plate.  Wait, was my mom smiling?  She never did that...I dismissed the thought, maybe she just had gas.

We ate in silence; the only sound was our chewing.  I ate little as possible, but it was so hard.  I was hungry and it tasted so good... 'NO!'  I mentally yelled at myself.  The less I ate, the less there would be to get rid of later.  Food lead to fatness, and no one wanted that.  I glanced up through my bangs, just to see what my so called 'parents' were doing.  They were holding hands and staring at me.  That's not normal.

"Is something wrong?"  I asked, taking a sip of my water.  Trying to stay calm, I clinched a fist under the table.  There was a thunder cloud over our heads, one that I could sense was about to let all hell break loose.

"Well...erm..." My step dad stuttered, scratching his head.  He was never, and I repeat, never, at a loss for words.  Usually, all sorts of insulting words fell from his tonged like water from the sky.

"I'm pregnant!"  My mom yelled, jumping to her feet.  She looked overjoyed, bouncing on the stop, a large, almost fake smile set on her face.  I sat there, mouth hanging open, staring at her.  The fork fell from my fingers and clattered to the floor Did I hear her right?  There was no way I did.

"Excuse me?"  I asked, my voice cracking.

This only seemed to excite her more, "I'm pregnant!  Your going to have a little brother or sister!"  My stepdad stood with her, placing a hand around her face.  They looked almost proud.

Something snapped inside of me then.  I'm not sure what or why, but maybe it was the thought of a little child spending their life in this hell.  I lived it everyday, and I wouldn't have wished it on even my worst enemy.

"And your happy about that?!"  I yelled, earning confused glances from my parents.  Obviously they didn't understand, so I continued, "You would seriously do that to a baby?  Think about it!  I'm practically raising myself, you're never around, and you don't love me!  You can't do that to a helpless little child!"  I was on my feet by then, and I'm not sure when I stood up.  I was shaking.  Red spots danced in my vision, a reminder of how mad I was.

"Oh honey that's not true, were just busy with work and stuff, we love yo-"

I cut my mom off, "Don't you dare say you love me, bitch!  You don't and definitely not your new husband!  The only one who ever loved me was dad, and you had to go and kill him!"  Tears blurred my vision as I turned and ran.  I could hear my parents calling me and my mother sobbing, but I ignored it.  I burst into my room, flinging myself onto my bed.  The tears continued to fall as I laid there, unable to control my emotions. 

Where had that even come from?  I knew I held sever hatred towards those people, and it was justified, but I had never accused my mother of killing my father before.  Sure, I had thought it, but I had never dared to let the words be uttered.  Some things were better left unsaid.  This was one of them.

I cried myself to sleep that night.  My parents left around midnight, not even bothering to say goodbye.  Only god knows where they went.  As I heard the car pull away, I couldn't help but whish for a huge simi to run them over like the trash they were.

I was alone, yet again.  No one could save me from the horrible, gut wrenching heartache.

~Later~

I screamed as I felt the unbearable pain shoot through my body.  Jolted from my sleep, my thoughts were still blurry, but I was able to process I was being held my by throat.  My feet barely scraped the ground.  A moan slipped passed my lips as the person who was holding me slammed my head against the wall, almost knocking me out.

"Bitch."  The man holding me slurred.  Brandon.  My step dad.  He was drunk, again.  He dug his nails into my skin, so hard I bled.  I could feel the sticky blood slipping down my neck.  I couldn't breathe, move, or think.  I was paralyzed.  He picked me up and threw me across the room, slamming me into the opposite wall.

Gasping for breath, I wobbled to my knees, holding my neck.  Everything hurt.  I could see him staggering over to me, but he had some trouble.  That's how drunk he was.  Before I could move he lifted his leg, swinging it forward until it hit me square in the chest.  I flew back, hitting the wall once more.  That knocked what air I had left in my lungs away, and I still couldn't move.

I screamed as he kicked me again, and again, and again.  Tears were flowing down my cheeks by then as the pain became worse.  He was yelling at me, but I could only understand part of it because it was so slurred.  He was mad I talked to him and mom the way I did...I think.

Make it stop, I begged mentally.  I began to see black spots, my hearing failing completely.  My vision blurred, running everything together until it was just colors. 

And then everything was black, and I felt no more.

A/N: Sorry it's short, I am running low on time.  Hope you liked it! <3