Chapter 15

I gasped as my hand flew to my mouth.  I had my doubts they were serious. I mean, no one has ever really wanted me, hints my dark past.  Were they serious?  I glanced at Emma, she was just smiling.  Will was looking at his wife, smiling.  Was he happy?  I couldn't tell.

"You're serious?" I whispered, letting my hand drop to my side.  Emma nodded, beaming.

"Yes." She squeaked. I screamed, really loud.  Emma smiled as I ran to her and wrapped my arms around her body and squeezed.  I was probably hurting her, but I didn't care. I was tpo happy. 

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!"  I squealed, holding my arms tighter.  I can't even explain how happy I was, it was like it was Christmas, Easter, and my birthday all at once.

"You're welcome?"  She croaked, trying to make me to let go. 

"Thank you!"  I said again, running to Will and hugging him. 

He chuckled and said, "You're welcome, just remember your last name is still going to be Watson."  I nodded and ran back to my seat, for the first time looking at the kids faces.  Their mouths were hanging open, staring at their parents in shock.  Zane looked disappointed?  Why would he be upset about that?

"The builders are coming first thing in the morning to start on you room."  Emma said, taking a sip of water.

"I'm getting my own room?"  I was so shocked, I couldn't move.  And yet my heart was beating a hundred times a minutes, I was so excited. 

"Of course!  If you're staying here permanently, you can't live in Zane's room!" Will explained, rolling his eyes at me.

"Oh my...I can't let you do that!  I'm fine on the couch, really." I was overwhelmed.  In just a month and a half I had gone from unloved and unwanted to being showered with gifts by people who cared about me.  How does that even happen.

"No way!  We already paid them, so no buts!"  I looked down at my hands, playing with my fingers.  I didn't want them to spend that much on me, a new room must be expensive.  We finished eating in silence, almost like no one wanted to talk.  I had a dozen things to say, but I held them in, not wanting to overwhelm everyone with a bunch of questions.  When we were done, I ran upstairs to Zane's room and pulled out my homework.  Normally, I wasn't quiet so eager to get it done, but I had to do something to keep me busy.  I changed into my PJ's and got to work.

I worked without a break for hours, subject after subject.  I finished at about ten o'clock, but I still needed to study for science.  Groaning, I pulled out my science binder and slipped out my study guide.  It was five pages long, not cool. 

"Hey."  Zane said, laying down on his bed.  My head shot up from my book so fast my vision spun.  I blinked at Zane, staring at his face.

"My gosh, you scared me!"  I exclaimed, placing a hand over my heart.

"Sorry."  He muttered, crossing his arms over his chest.  I sighed and walked to his bed, sitting cris cross apple sauce on the end.

"Is something wrong?" I asked, confused.  If he really didn't want his parents to get custody of me, all he had to do was say so.

"No!"  He yelled, sitting straight up.  Hm, he said it a bit to quickly.  I raised and eyebrow at him, but left it.  If he didn't want to tell me he, didn't have to.

"Do you....want to play cards?" I asked awkwardly, not knowing what to do. 

"Sure."  I nodded and walked down the hall, heading for the game closet.  Their closet was bursting with games, and I didn't know if I was going to be able to find the cards.  Slowly I opened the closet, trying to be careful.  When it was half way open, all the games came tumbling out, throwing me to the floor.

"Ouch!"  I exclaimed, taking Monopoly off my head. 

"Are you okay?"  I turned to see James running towards me.

"I'm fine."  I said, shoving the rest of the boxes off my body, "I just have a mess to clean up."

"I'll help."  He said as he placed the Life pieces back in the box.

"Thanks."  I smiled, putting the boxes that haden't opened back in the closet.  Half the games I hadnen't even heard of, they were from England or something.  James was a big help and, thanks to him, we were done in ten minutes.

"There, all done."  He said, handing a deck of cards to me.

"How did you know I needed these?"  I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"My room is next to Zanes, I can hear everything."  He winked at me and then left, heading back to him room I guess.  I stood there, blinking at where he had been a second before.  He could hear everything?  I hoped not.  I walked back to Zane's room, as quietly as I could so I wouldn't wake up Aria, and sat back down on his bed.  He was on the phone when I got there, so I waited.

"Yeah, I'm fine.  Don't worry, I'll be back to youth group next week."  He glanced at me, "I've got to go, Demitra just got back.  Shut up, it's not like that!"  And then he hung up.

"What's not like what?"  I asked,

"Nothing," His cheeks were turning pink, "Are you ready to play?"  I nodded and then shuffled the cards, wondering what was up.  He was acting really strange, but I didn't know why.  Was it because Mr. and Mrs. Angelo were getting cousidy of me?  I decided not to ask, and instead focused on playing the game.  We played poker first, but then somehow switched to black jack. 

"I know!" I exclaimed, "Lets play slap Jack!"  Zane smiled at me and nodded, preparing the cards.  One card.  Two card.  Three card.  Jack!  I slammed my hand down, Zanes coming down on top of mine.  I hissed in pain as I pulled my hand back, nursing the stinking skin.  "Why did you hit so hard?" 

"I'm so sorry Demi!  I didn't know my hand came down so fast!"  He stood up running a hand through his shaggy brown hair.

"What do you mean?"  I stood as well, standing in front of him, "How can you not know how hard you were hitting?"

"I said I was sorry!" He yelled, throwing his hands in the air.  I flinched, half expecting him to slap me across the face.  What the hell?  "I was just angry, I guess I was letting my anger out." 

"Why are you angry?"  I reached out to touch his shoulder, but he turned away.

"Because my parents are getting cousdiy of you...."  He whispered.  I gasped.  Did it really make him that mad?  Did he not want me to be part of his family?

"Wh...Why would that make you mad?"  I whispered.  He turned to face me, looking me straight in the eye.  His features darkened, almost become menacing as he took a step closet to me.  Our chests were almost touching.  My breathing hitched.

"Because then I won't be able to do this."

And then his lips were on mine