Chapter 8

Merida's POV

I felt like I was grabbed and thrown out. I did a complete roll forwards during my landing. I quickly did a full 360 degree turn as I pointed my bow in self defence, just in case. But there was no one.

Where am I? This is the infamous place of the gateway? It looks no different than Scotland. Maybe I'm in another country. Wait... That wouldn't make sense. If this is where the gateway leads, then how come no one found a way back home to Scotland?

I walked around, exploring the place. There was a person underneath a tree and I walked towards him. "Hello?"  I started.

"What's with the hair, frizzy?" He asked and laughed.

I got offended, like really offended. "I would like to ask something?"  I continued, trying not to snap. Control yourself, Merida. Don't rage...

"Go away, I don't talk to weird people like you." He shooed me away.

All right, that's it! My blood boiled with anger. Without much hesitation, I pulled an arrow out and aimed at him.

"Now you better watch that mouth of yours!" I warned.

He burst out laughing again. "Aren't you a bit too old to play with toys like these?"

"I'm warning you! I fought a cursed bear with this!" I yelled, contemplating whether I should really release the arrow. Honestly, why did I even have to say I fought a cursed bear? I'm not thinking straight.

"And did it make you run away crying? What a tale. Liar, liar, pants on fire, frizzy." He crossed his arms, smirking. "So, why don't you take your lies elsewhere? Go boast to those who would actually believe it, aka, no one!"

I shot the arrow in his arm. Half of me couldn't believe I just did that. The other half of me felt so proud that I wanted to do it again. I grabbed his collar and looked at him in the eyes. He looked a little terrified.

"What the heck, frizzy girl?! You could have killed me! I didn't know you were serious with the arrows!" He yelled.

"And I can shoot another arrow at you if you dare call me that again! How about your heart?!" I yelled back. "Now, answer me or you're gonna get it! What is this place?"

"Here's called Alternia!" He replied, starting to tremble. There was a whole lot of blood coming out from his arm but I didn't care. It was well worth it. You just gotta be brave enough to do something sometimes.

"Alternia eh? So, where can I go to find some helpful people unlike you?" I asked.

"Alternia High School is over there." He pointed to a street. "Maybe you can find someone there that won't fear you, someone who would be willing to talk to you."

I slapped him on the face. Is he really asking to be shot? He makes it look like no one would talk to me. Like the people here are just like him!

"Now what was that for?!" He asked.

"For insulting me one too many times." I glared at him and pulled my arrow out of his arm. He yelled in pain.

"You'll regret this!" He shouted as I walked away.

"One more word and I'll shoot you!" I shouted back.

After a couple of minutes, I finally cooled down. I have some serious anger management issues. I snap way too easily. And that's when I might end up killing someone.

Soon I reached the school that the boy was talking about, Alternia High School. I went into it. Hopefully there's someone who can help. To my surprise, there wasn't anyone in the hallways. Maybe they're all in class. I looked around for a classroom to find anyone. Anyone who can help me.

I didn't even knock on the door and straight away opened it. All eyes were on me. "Who's the new girl?" "Are we getting a new student?" "Her hair looks really messed up." Those were among the whispers I heard the minute I opened the door.

"Yes? May I help you?" A man asked, which I'm assuming is the teacher.

"I uh... I'm lost." I said. Think Merida, think! Since I can't just borrow a person to ask right now. I need to wait until their class is up. "May I know where is the principal's office?"

"Go down the corridor and take a right. It's the second door on your right." The teacher replied.

"Thank you." I nodded and went out.

Since I have time, I might as well look around the school. I tried to look for a map everywhere to figure out where I was and how far was I from Scotland. How far am I from home? I don't think I remember anything such as Alternia when I looked at the map back at home.

The bell ring interrupted my thoughts. Hundreds and hundreds of students came out from classes, they stormed the hallways. I quickly tried to get someone's attention.

Suddenly, I was pushed from the back and I fell flat on my stomach. All right, who did that? I'm gonna mess you up. Many were laughing. "Oh I'm sorry, I didn't see you there. Are you hurt?" A boy said mockingly as he held out his hand.

You picked the wrong girl to mess with. I grabbed his foot and pulled it. It was his turn to fall. "Oh I'm sorry,"  I copied him. "I didn't know that was your leg. Are YOU hurt?"

Some gasps traveled around the students. "She did that?" "Really?" "I don't believe it!" "Is she asking for it?" I heard more whispers. Whatever. I didn't care who this boy was. Mess with me, and you'll pay the price.

"Bold words." He smirked as he stood up. "You don't know who you're messing with."

"Do I look like I care?" I asked back. Who do you think you are? More gasps and whispers were beard.

"Hmm, I see. You better watch your back, newbie." He said.

"And why should I?" I asked. "More like you watch your back. I don't tolerate with people like you, purposely pushing me down."

"You better shut up or you'll have a word with my fist in 3 seconds!"  He shouted.

I slyly grinned. I took my bow that I swung around my back and took an arrow out. "You'll have a word with this arrow in 3 seconds. And I'm a great shot."

Our conversation was cut short. There was something black spreading across the hallway. Which I think is a shadow, a big one! Everyone either started to run or backed away to the lockers. What was going on?

No time to think right now, I better do the same as them to figure it out. I pushed my way through the students and hid behind them, just like all of them were doing. Whatever that's going on, it's definitely making everyone afraid.

Five people walked down the idle, smirking. Who were they? I tried to look a little closer as one of them looked a little familiar. I've seen that face before... But where? I know I've seen him. When? Who? Where? And all of a sudden, it struck me.

"Mor'du!" I gasped in shock.

DON'T FORGET TO

READ

COMMENT

VOTE

SUGGESTIONS WELCOMED!