Chapter 3

Merida's POV

I woke up and quietly crept out of my room. I was under a so called, secret mission. Trying not to make the slightest noise that would wake up my parents or my brothers, I slipped out of the castle and went straight to the woods. I had been wanting to do this like forever, but my mother wouldn't let me, and that is to explore the gateway that appeared right here in Scotland. It was a beautiful sight from the castle, now I wonder how extra beautiful it would be if I was nearer to it.

I decided not to take Angus with me since he was injured. We fell off once and he injured his leg. Plus he was rather frightened with the idea. I looked up, the gateway could be seen clearly and it was really deep in the forest. Good, no fog or anything magical covering it today, giving me a clear look. Some random days the gateway couldn't be seen at all, it was completely foggy, so my best guess is magic.

On the way, I took down all the arrows from my targets. I'm ready for any danger. With my bow and arrows, I'm ready. These stuff give me all the confidence I need, they're a part of me that cannot be taken away.

It was a little tricky, no wait, very tricky trying to get nearer to the gateway. Am I getting any nearer to the gateway? Cause I kinda think I'm walking away from the gateway. I searched for any green glowing grass, the ones that I saw with my binoculars from the castle. But unfortunately I found none. I would occasionally climb the trees to get a better look at my surroundings.

After half an hour of searching frantically, I gave up and took a short break under an apple tree. I climbed it and grabbed an apple. I forgot that I didn't have breakfast first before leaving the castle. Clumsy me.

A shade of blue caught my eye. In curiosity, I went to it. A Will O' the Wisps!

"Wisps!" I blurted out as more appeared. Uncertain whether they could actually understand me, I gave it a try. "Can you lead me to the gateway?"

The wisps went higher up, one by one. Is it a sign? Are you trying to tell me something? Soon, a whole trail full of them appeared. I quickly finished my apple and followed them. What it seemed to be hours, the gateway stood in front of me.

"Oh...My...Gosh..." I muttered. It was AMAZING! "I uh..." I turned to the wisps, they were soon disappearing. "Thank you for bringing me here."

I walked around, admiring the beautiful bright green grass. I also noticed that the sky here is clashing between evening and night. Inside was broad daylight. Two planets were side by side.

During my exploration, I found a weird looking cave. It was heavily surrounded by plants, almost impossible to see. I got my arrows ready, just in case there was anything there. I cautiously stepped in. Surprisingly, the grass that glowed gave light to the cave. Everywhere was lit.

What a sight! I went deeper into the cave. There was only one trail, I can't get lost in this. Something sparkled. Step by step, I had the biggest shock in my life. Flowers! Billions and billions of flowers! I had never seen these types of flowers before. Colours were everywhere. They sparkled like diamonds. The petals were like gemstones. My jaw was wide open as I stood and gaped at them.

How did all these flowers survive here? There's no sunlight, unless... The glowing grass? I wondered. Where did all these flowers come from in the first place?! Questions swarmed my mind.

I admired the flowers. Does this cave have a connection with the gateway? As always, I looked at every part of the cave, looking for any secret messages. I don't know why, I just did it often.

I walked all the way until a dead end. Darn, there weren't any words or whatsoever in the cave. I really was expecting some sort of a clue. Well, that journey was most certainly interesting! With that, I turned and went back. I passed the flowers once more, they completely blinded me, too sparkly! But before I left the cave, I plucked one flower, I wanted to know more about it when I get back to the castle.

I ended up back at the gateway. This time, I wanna see what's behind it. It was quite challenging, as it was uphill all the way. I was exhausted when I reached the top. But nothing was behind it. I was wondering, and hoping, that since what we all see in front was daylight inside the gateway, behind it would be something else. Like,another path! But nope, nothing. No words either. Oh come on! I whined mentally.

Well that amazing, I guess I should head home. Before mom and dad start asking where I've been. I have been out for hours, they'll be sure to ask plenty of questions. I groaned.

I cautiously went down the hill. Then I remembered that I haven't explored in front of the gateway. I'm always up for an adventure. I took a wrong step and stumbled down, it hurt, but I was ok, no serious injuries.

I stood in front of the steps that led up to the gateway. For no particular reason, I aimed my bow and fired an arrow into the gateway. The arrow went right through it. I was starstruck, my mind kept replaying how I saw it went straight through the gateway. There was a ripple effect when my arrow when through it. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

I walked up a couple of steps and they magically glowed. It really scared me until I nearly jumped out of my skin. A bit over exaggerated but I was serious. It was amazing, with every step I took, every step glowed. How is this even possible?

Suddenly I didn't feel like going home any more. I was pulled towards the gateway. I was craving for an adventure, to explore the wonders behind it. Thousands of questions flew around my mind. And the answers all lie behind the gateway. I had to find out the answers. Curiosity took over me.

"Sorry mom and dad." I muttered as I was just inches away from the gateway. I stuck another arrow to see the ripple effect. I took a deep breath and smiled widely. And with that, I walked into the gateway.

It all went black.

DON'T FORGET TO

READ

COMMENT

VOTE

SUGGESTIONS WELCOMED!