Puppet

We were all dressed for a party. Laylah wore a skin tight, strapless black dress that made her pale skin look ghostly.  Christen wore, well, party boy cloths and so did Mike.  I wore a hot pink strapless dress that did my vampire figure wonders.  It made my eyes even more unnatural than normal.  If someone paid attention they’d know we weren’t wearing contacts.  Christen’s eyes were a crimson red.

            I found Nick sitting by the bar he’d had set up on the edge of the pasture where his party was being held.

            He asked, “What up with the eyes?”

            “Vamp thing.  You didn’t notice earlier because my fangs only grew out when I bit you and then I retracted them before you could see.”

            “So your fangs are out?”

            “A little, not all the way.  Just enough for my eyes to change.”

            “Do you want a drink?”

            “It won’t affect me, but sure.”

            I felt a tickle inside my head.  “What’s wrong?”

            “What do you mean?”

            “Your face.  You look confused.”

            “I am.  I don’t know what’s going on.”

            My drink came.  I’ve never drank before.  I chugged it down and got another.  I chugged six more.

            Nick said, “Hey, slow down, you’re going to draw attention.”

            “Does your dad still have that Texan Longhorn?”

            “Yeah, it’s in the barn.  Why?”

            “Let’s go.”

            There it was.  The big bull was eating hay surrounded by its cows.  I said, “Let it loose.  I wanna ride.”

            “Are you nuts?  That thing’ll kill you.”

            “No it won’t.  I’m a vamp.”

            “Are you sure those drinks didn’t affect you?”

            “Yeah, now open it.”

            “Okay.”

            He opened the door.  The bull sensed me as a danger and came charging.  I jumped over it.  It turned and charged again.  This was too easy.  This time when it charged it knew I’d jump.  As soon as it past me it immediately turned and charged again, only I wasn’t there.  It pawed the ground and snorted.  With its horns pointed towards me, it charged again.

            When I jumped, I landed on its back.  It bucked and kicked and snorted.  He couldn’t get me off.  I finally tired him out and put him back in the section of barn made for the cattle.

            Nick asked, “Are you insane?”

            “No, why?”

            “That was amazing.”

            “Aw, thanks.”

            “Amazingly stupid!”

            “I told you, it can’t hurt me.”