Telling Ash and Maggie

I woke up the next morning thinking it was all a bad dream. That was until I tried bringing my fangs out and it worked.  I got ready for school.  While running down the stairs, I discovered I could run at superhuman speeds.

            When I went to get my favorite breakfast I realized how revolting it smelled.  I found a note on the table that read:

Dear Jade,

Be very careful.  You don’t need human food anymore.  Remember to always be on your guard.  Try to be as normal as you can for your friends.  I love you Jade.

Love,

Mom

            I got on the bus and sat with my best friend, Maggie.  I said, “Maggie, I need to break up with Ash.”

            She said, “You have to what?!”  

            “I said, ‘I have to break up with Ash.’”

            “Why?  You guys are so happy together.”

            “I know. Come over to my house after school and I’ll tell you.”

            She was silent the rest of the way to school.  “I won’t do it today.  I’ll wait until you understand why I have to do it.”

            She asked, “Why can’t you tell me now.”

            “There are too many people that might hear and there’s not enough time to explain.”

            All my classes went by the way they usually do.  During lunch, nobody thought much about me not eating but Maggie.  She gave me a look full of worry.  When I got home, I said, “Maggie is coming over.”

            Mom asked, “Are you going to tell her?”

            “I guess so.  I told her I would.”

            Not long after that, Maggie arrived.  Before we went up to my room, Mom said, “Maggie, believe every word she says.”

            Maggie asked, “What’s up?  I wanna know now.”

            I said, plain and simple, “I’m a vampire.”

            “Don’t play games! I’m worried about you.”

            “I’m not playing games. If you don’t believe me I’ll show you.”

            That’s when I brought out my fangs.  She screamed, which I was expecting.  I covered her mouth with my hand and said, “Don’t scream.  I won’t hurt you.”

            She stopped screaming, but her eyes were still wide with terror.  She stuttered, “Y-y-you’re a vampire!”

            “I know,” I said sadly.

            “How’d it happen?”

            “Family genes.”

            “What?”

            “Well, my dad was a vampire, too.”

            “I thought you said he died in battle.”

            “He did. It was a battle between vampire and werewolves.”

            “Werewolves?  What other creatures are there?”