Running

Jade’s pov-

            I used vampire speed to pack.  I ran back down stairs to say good-bye.  Mom said, “You might want to clean your mouth.”

            I wiped my mouth with the sleeve of my shirt.  Mom said, “Here, I mapped out your way from here to Aunt Claire’s.”

            “Thank you.  Bye Mom.  I love you.”

            “I love you, too.”

            I gave her a hug.  I gave Auntie Beth a hug, too, and said, “I’m sorry for what I did, for what I am.  I love you.”

            I stood back and concentrated.  I sensed Mike and Laylah’s minds.  I said, Mike!  We need to leave.  NOW!!!  Meet me at the school.

            I ran to the school where Mike and Laylah were waiting.  I said, “Come on.  We have to get out of town.”

            “Why?”

            “Run now; ask questions later.”

            We ran out of town with the four wolves getting closer every second.  Mike pulled me to a stop when we were a mile into the next town.

            He said, “We’re out of their territory.  Tell me why we’re running.”

            “I killed.”

            “Oh, come on, Jade.  Stop whining about killing that deer.”

            “It wasn’t a deer.”

            “It was the bear I found in the woods.”

            “Yes and no.”

            “What do you mean?”

            “I killed it but that’s not why we’re running.”

            “What was it then?”

            “It’s not a what, it’s a who.”

            “What?”

            “No, not a what.  A who!  Bill!”

            “Who’s Bill?”

            Laylah said, “Bill is one of the people that interviewed her mom for a job.”

            “How did the wolves find out?”

            “Buckie was there.  If he hadn’t, I would’ve gotten to the rest of them, Jack, Mom, and Auntie Beth.”

            I started crying.  Mike said, “Right in front of one!  That’s worst if they would’ve heard a rumor about it.  They have an eye witness, Jade!”

            I said between sobs, “Mike.  It was.  Awful!”

            He wrapped his arms around me.  I laid my head on his shoulder and cried.  I don’t know how long it was and we would’ve been there longer until someone noticed us.

            A woman came out and asked, “Who are you kids?  Where are your parents?”

            She was walking towards us when Mike said, Jade, lose the fangs.

            I shrunk them and turned to face the woman.  She saw my make up running and said, “Oh my.  Why don’t you come inside, dearies.”