Chapter 12 - Part 2

It doesn't take long for John to shoot the idea down. "Thought of that, it won't work. The equalizer would affect us without a doubt, but since we have never had an equalizer within range of a Nukpana we can't be sure it would have any effect on them. Which means it could very well backfire on us and make Abaddon's work that much easier. We need full control of all variables involved if we are going to have any chance of winning."

Several minutes pass before Johnson speaks. "Mona has seen their plans, right? Why not have her show us access points and give us the numbers expected at each one? That way when they do come we can be ready and waiting. We would have several advantages, making success a lot more likely."

This piques both Ben and John's interest. "What kind of advantages?"

"First, we have the home field advantage. We know every nook and cranny of this place. We can make our way around in the dark. They have never been inside, so they would be at a significant disadvantage. Second, we would have the element of surprise in our favor. They have no idea we know their plans, they don't expect us to be waiting for them. Finally, and probably most beneficial for us, we know how many are coming in at each location, so enough guardians can be sent to each site to outnumber them."

Everyone is mulling over this seemingly perfect strategy when Martinez returns with the food. She carries the box Lois sent down over to where we are sitting and sets it down on the coffee table. We all start grabbing stuff out of the box like a bunch of starving heathens.

Ben returns to the couch with his food. "What took so long?"

"Lois insisted I sit and eat because, and I quote, 'Those four will be like a pack of wild, ravenous wolves and they'll leave nothing behind for you.'" She looks in the box and chuckles. We had, in fact, emptied the box of everything remotely edible.

Feeling slightly guilty that I hadn't thought of her, I offer up my bowl of pickled eyeballs, my favorite side dish. She assures me she had plenty to eat before she came back. Lois made sure of that.

Pleasantries out of the way, we all start eating. I unwrap my fried cow heart sandwich and take a bite.

"It won't work."

Johnson stiffens. "What won't work?"

"Your strategy."

Johnson becomes very defensive. "Why not?"

"Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent strategy. It just won't work against Abaddon right now. I've seen it. They will kill the biggest threats and any nonessential people they come across first. That is, any males or anyone that is obviously older than I am or far too young to be me."

I take another bite of my sandwich and a sip of water. "Once Abaddon is sure that a given female is not me, he'll have her killed as well."

We finish our meal in silence, once again pondering possible options. It's almost time for me to reveal my plan. I have to make sure they are out of ideas and are willing to listen to something outrageous.

I get up and retrieve the last five bottles of water that housekeeping keeps stocked. I return and hand everyone a fresh bottle before sitting back down.

I'm still not quite ready to reveal my plan – I have a few contingencies I am struggling to work out. So I decide to make a little small talk. "John, can you please have housekeeping leave some extra water tomorrow? These are our last bottles."

"The housekeeping staff has been evacuated already, but I'll have someone bring some up after we're done tonight."

"Great, thanks."