Chapter 9

Ben

While I'm stopped at a red light, I take the opportunity to call home.

Dad picks up on the second ring. "Lockhart residence."

"Dad, it's me. I just wanted to call and let you know we're on our way home."

"Is everything okay?"

I don't really want to tell him, but I know if I don't and he finds out he'll never trust me again.

"There was an incident, but we were able to deal with it."

"What kind of incident?"

"Someone tried to abduct Mona."

"What? Is she okay? Did she get hurt?"

"We're all fine, Dad."

"Come straight home, don't stop anywhere until you get here."

"What about red lights?"

"This isn't a good time to split hairs. You know what I mean."

* * *

Mona

We pull up in front of the school and the van is engulfed by at least twenty guardians. Before I know what is going on, the back door slides open and a pair of hands grabs me and starts pulling me out of my seat. I'm surrounded by ten guardians and ushered inside the building and straight to the stairs.

I start to panic again. "Ben!"

"I'm right behind you!"

My heart continues to race as the guardians guide me up the stairs. Ben reaches my side as we reach the third-floor landing and puts his arm around my waist.

The guardians fall back when we reach the headmaster's suite. Ben opens the door and we can hear John and Lois arguing.

"Why aren't you more upset?"

"She was never in any real danger, John."

"How do you know that?"

We walk into the living room before she has a chance to respond.

"Mom? Dad? What's going on?"

* * *

Ben

"Do you see why I don't want you being a guardian now? It's too dangerous."

"Mom, what did you mean when you said Mona was never in any real danger?"

"Just what I said. The man at the mall never would have harmed her."

"And you know this how?"

"Because I sent him to show you how dangerous it is for you."

"You did what? I can't believe you would do that."

"Lois! How could you do that to them?"

"I had to, John. I had to find a way to show him how dangerous being her guardian is going to be."

"You should have come to me."

"You would have said no."

"You're damn right I would have said no."

I can't believe my own mother would do this. I have to get Mona out of here. "I think I need to get Mona back to her suite. We'll talk about this later."

I don't wait for a response. I take Mona by the arm and lead her out of the suite and to the stairs.

* * *