Chapter 4 - Part 1

Ben

I look over each candidate before addressing them. They are all dressed in well-pressed training uniforms. Their posture is impeccable, telling me that they are taking this seriously even though most of them are older than I am.

"Good afternoon, candidates."

"Good afternoon, sir!"

"I'm sure you are all wondering why you are here. So I'll get straight to the point. You have spent your life dedicated to training to become guardians. The moment of truth has arrived. Do you have what it takes? Maybe. Maybe not. Four of you will find out soon. We have called you here to select a team of four temporary guardians. Failure is not an option. We ask that you use discretion when outside these doors. Even if you aren't one of the final four, please speak of these proceedings with no one, not even each other. No one, and I do mean no one, outside this room right now needs to know what happens here. Not even Headmaster Lockhart, is that understood?"

"Sir, yes, sir!"

"My name is Ben Lockhart. I'm the head guardian for Mona Lockhart. I will select four of you based on skill and ability to guard and defend Miss Lockhart. Information during these proceedings will be on a need-to-know basis. And I will be the one to tell you what you need to know. Any questions you have will be answered here tonight."

I open the extra folder that I got from my dad's office and pull out a small stack of papers. As I walk down the line of candidates handing each candidate a thin packet of papers, I explain what the papers are for. "The first page is a confidentiality agreement. Read it carefully and sign it. The second page is an acknowledgement of risk, again read it carefully and sign it. The final page in the packet is a profile page. Answer all the questions thoroughly and honestly. This page will help us identify you and assist in determining your compatibility. If any of you have any questions regarding the upcoming proceedings or the ensuing assignment, please feel free to ask them now."

All thirteen candidates simultaneously take a seat on the floor and begin reading and signing papers as instructed. I turn to check on Mona as one of the candidates stands up and starts toward us.

He hands me his papers. "Sir, my name is Ryan McMasters. I just want to say that I look forward to this opportunity. I do have one question I'd like to ask."

I can sense something in his tone. He's good at masking his emotions so I'm not entirely sure what it is.

"What would you like to know?"

McMasters casts a nervous glance around the gym. "Is this really going to be dangerous, or is this one of those graduation mock assignments we hear about in the halls?"

I'm not sure if I should tell them all the truth just yet, but if I don't we may end up with reluctant guardians. If I tell them everything then at least if anyone wants out of the assignment we can save time and come to a decision quicker.

I look at each of the candidates, who are now staring at me in anticipation.

"Inside these walls and between the fifteen of us in this room, this is very real. Outside these walls, among your friends, this is one of those pre-graduation mock assignments that you hear about in the halls. Each of you is close to graduation and permanent placement as a guardian, so I feel I can trust your judgment. The information you are about to receive is highly sensitive and must never be repeated outside this room."

I give them a brief explanation of the situation and everyone looks very serious.

"In closing, let me remind you that if the other students find out about the threat it is very likely to cause a widespread panic. And when people panic it becomes harder to predict what will happen. We trust you to use discretion and never speak of this outside of this group. Is that understood?"