Chapter 6 - Part 2

I slip back into the gym just as Ben calls on the last candidate. "Knox, step forward please."

... strange... getting... guardian. "Yes, sir!"

I must be more tired than I thought – I can't seem to get a clear read on him.

"Why are you here?"

"To protect my fellow Talonians."

"Is there another assignment you'd rather have?"

"No, sir!"

Ben glances over his shoulder at me, a confused look on his face. I shake my head. I don't want to tell him yet.

My concentration is broken when I hear the gym door open. Everyone turns their attention to the group that is walking through the door. Heading up the group is the headmaster himself, followed by two members of our security team. I don't recognize the final member of the group until I feel every ounce of energy I have left drain from my body. The equalizer.

Once every generation a very special Talonian is born. He or she bears a very rare and unique trait. A trait so powerful that it renders any Talonian in the target range powerless. They can also cause mass confusion in the minds of those he or she is in contact with, making even the most skilled fighters defenseless. This makes it easier to detain a Talonian without anyone getting hurt.

John clears his throat and everyone turns their attention to him. "Abigail Hunter, you stand accused of destruction of Council property, vandalism, theft, possession of stolen property, and unlawful entry. It is with deep regret that you will hereby be detained pending a disciplinary review."

There are a series of soft gasps from the other graduates. Everyone is still frozen in place as they lead Abigail out of the gym.

"I'll get you for this, Lockhart! You just wait, I'll get you!"

Only John remains in the gym with us. Everyone is released from the power of the equalizer, and we all stand there looking at each other in disbelief.

John addresses the candidates. "Ms. Hunter has been detained for the recent break-in in the dorms. Stolen items were found in her suite during a routine safety check. A full investigation is underway and we will find out who else was involved. They will also find themselves subject to the disciplinary review. If any of you have any knowledge of this incident, you may come see me in my office. If you come forward on your own, the disciplinary committee will take that into account when deciding on your punishment."

He turns and walks out of the gym, leaving us all wondering what will happen to Abigail.

Once John is gone, I open the link with Ben. "Well that was exhausting."

"I wonder how they really found out about Abigail. It's such a shame. She would have made an amazing guardian."

"I feel bad, but what was I supposed to do? I couldn't just let her get away with it." I begin to feel a little guilty. "But at least that's one less we have to choose from."

"Wait, you turned her in?"

"Not exactly. It was Lucy."

"How did Lucy... Never mind, I don't want to know. Let's stay on task, we'll talk about this later."

"Well let's see, Christian is a pervert and Delacey can't stand me. That makes them both bad choices. Johnson, Knox, McMasters, and Martinez are all dedicated, serious, and ready for this making, them the four most ideal candidates."