Chapter 6 - Part 1

Mona

All thirteen candidates are standing at full attention as we enter.

I can't get over how proud Ben is every time he addresses the candidates. His voice drops an octave or two and his tone commands respect and obedience.

"Good afternoon, candidates." He doesn't wait for a response. "You have all made significant progress in your years here. You have worked hard and have earned your graduation. It is my deepest regret that only four of you will be selected even though you are all qualified. This first round of eliminations was based on what traits we felt would be a good match. As I call your name, please step forward. Evans, Roberts, Meyer, Davis, Mitchell, and Kennedy."

He waits until they are all standing in a separate line. "I want to thank you all for your hard work and discretion during these proceedings. However, it has been decided that you will not make a good match for the current assignment. Let me once again remind you that these proceedings are classified and you have all signed confidentiality agreements. Please return to your regular class schedule. Thank you."

We watch them file out of the gym without a word. Once they are all out of the gym, we return our attention to the remaining seven candidates.

"I'm not going to waste any time here today. A decision will be made by the time these interviews are over. Delacey, step forward, please."

I focus my attention on her. "Do you want to be here?"

As if I have a choice. "Sir, yes, sir!"

"Good. Why?"

Because it's better than sitting around in some boring old classroom. "It's my calling to be a guardian. I've known it since I was just a child."

"Do you have a problem with this assignment?"

Only if I die because of her. "Sir, no, sir!"

"If you could choose any assignment, what would it be?"

Any that didn't require me to protect some snobby little self-entitled brat. "I would be happy with any assignment the committee sees fit to give me."

"When escorting your charge, what is the proper protocol?"

"Protocol dictates that when accompanying a charge in a public place, at least two guardians must be present. One guardian remains close to the charge while the other takes a position several yards behind."

"Very well done. You may return to your place in line. Martinez, step forward please."

"Do you want to be here?"

I hope I don't blow this. "More than anything else."

"Why?"

Why does everyone ask me that? "It's all I've ever wanted to do."

"Do you have any problems with this assignment?"

Are you nuts? "No, sir."

"If you could choose any assignment, what would you choose?"

"My dream assignment is to be assigned to the Council. My brothers and parents have all been assigned to a Council member and tell me it's the highest accomplishment a guardian can achieve."

"In the event of a situation involving a single attacker in a public place, what would you do?"

"First I would notify my partner..."

"Then what?"

Come on, I know this. "Secure the charge and eliminate the threat."

"If you're securing the charge, how are you eliminating the threat?"