Chapter 20 - Part 2

Mona

Once we are closed off from the rest of the gym, I turn to Lois for answers. "What haven't you told me?"

"Normally you would learn about this next year, but it seems you have run out of time."

"Out with it, Lois."

"Every Talonian is born with a predetermined destiny. Yours is to sit on the Council. Others are born to be guardians."

"Yes, I know that."

"Every guardian is born to protect a very particular person."

"You mean like what humans call a soul mate?"

"Yes. But for Talonians it is very literal and very rare."

"Wait, you just said that each one was born for someone specific."

"They are. But it is rare that the guardian finds his 'one' at a young age. Some even go their entire lives without ever knowing who it was supposed to be."

I think I'm starting to see where this is going.

"Ben was born to be a guardian, Mona. I could never change that."

"What are you getting at?"

"Ben was born for you, Mona. We knew it as soon as you arrived here on Earth. It was impossible to miss. He was only three at the time, but every time he saw you his eyes lit up. By the time he was four he was refusing to leave your side."

"I always thought it was odd that we were so close."

"I have denied it for years, telling myself we were wrong. I fought to keep him from becoming a guardian so that he couldn't be bonded to you. I even tried convincing the Council that there had been a mistake when I learned that they planned to bond you before your graduation."

"Why? If it's already determined that we are to be bonded, why not just accept it?"

"Maybe I've been on Earth too long. Maybe I love you both so much that I can't bear to see anything happen to either of you. It was when Abaddon came to Earth that I realized that no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't change what was supposed to be."

"I know you love Ben. So do I. I would give my life to protect him, and I would do anything to save him from pain."

"As you should, and I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner."

"What exactly was it that changed your mind?"

"The way you saved him – the only way you could have done that is if you were his 'one.'"

I glance at the clock over Lois' shoulder and notice that the graduation ceremony is about to begin.

"I have to get out there. I told Jake I would be there."

"Jake understands, Mona. Or at least he will."

"What about Ben's graduation? Or the rest of it?"

Lois shakes her head apologetically.

"It's not fair!"

"Maybe not, and maybe it's archaic. But it's tradition, Mona, and tradition is important. If we just throw away the parts of our tradition and heritage we think is too old or don't fit anymore, then we're no better than the Nukpana."

"I need to talk to him. There are things I need to tell him before this happens."

"It's too late now. I'm afraid the Council has blocked Ben's mind from you until the ceremony."