Chapter 8 - Part 3

Ben

I am disturbed by Mona's behavior. It isn't like her to hide like this. For the last sixteen years she's come to me for protection, no matter what has her freaked out.

"Lucy?"

I can hear the panic in her voice and my instincts start to kick in. I struggle to contain the urge to race to her in case it's just something about the dress, but I stay prepared for anything.

"I'll be there in a minute!"

I spot Lucy over by the register and rush to her side.

"Any idea what's going on with her?"

Lucy shakes her head. "No clue, why?"

"It's not like her to hide."

"I'm sure she's just nervous about the dress."

"Yeah, maybe. But just in case, stay close to one of us."

"You got it."

I turn my attention back to the fitting room entrance. "Mona, come on out here."

She walks out of the fitting room and I'm stunned by how exquisite she looks in the dress. I'm so stunned that I can't bring myself to move or speak. It's as if I'm caught in a trance. I know she shouldn't be wearing something so revealing, but I can't bring myself to say anything.

Martinez approaches and I turn my attention to her. Her expression is serious. "Look over there," she whispers.

"What am I looking at?"

"That guy. I keep seeing him and he keeps staring at Mona."

My muscles tense at the potential danger, and I'm careful to keep my eyes on the man. "Mona, go get changed so we can get out of here."

"But I'm not done yet."

I give her a serious look. "It's getting late, and it's going to take some time to get your stuff paid for."

She pouts. "Okay."

She turns to go back to the dressing room and almost plows into the man I've been watching. While I was talking to Mona, he must have moved to intercept her. A chill runs down my spine. Up close the man appears dirty and unkempt.

* * *

Mona

"Excuse me."

Usually when I say that people move out of the way. This guy just stands there staring at me.

I turn around and head straight for Ben and Martinez.

His voice is low and creepy when he speaks. "I couldn't help but notice your tattoos. They are very nice."

I don't look back. All I can think of is getting to Ben. "Thanks."

"May I ask who did them?"

"My boyfriend."

"He's very talented. They look so natural. As if they just appeared."

His words ring so true that they make me shake. It's as if he knows I'm not human. I don't even realize what is going on behind me.

Ben is the first to react. "Mona! Get down!"

One thing I've learned is that when Ben says get down, he means fast. For some reason, I hesitate for just a split-second. Before I know what's going on, there's a pair of strong arms wrapped around me, pulling me away from Ben. I struggle to get free, but the man is too strong.