Chapter 19 - Part 2

Abigail looks down at her table. "It was Peter Christian."

This time nobody can contain their shock. I can't help but notice that Peter's parents are here for his graduation, and their surprise and disappointment is evident on their faces.

"We would now like to hear from Mona Mul- Lockhart."

I make my way through the crowd to the open space in the middle of the room, stopping when I reach John. I face the Council and bow my head.

"Please tell us, Ms. Lockhart, have all of your things been returned to you?"

"Yes. Some were destroyed, but I got them back."

"Were you physically injured during this incident?"

"No."

"Besides the damages to the property, were you harmed in any way as a result of Ms. Hunter's actions?"

"I was scared, and now when I'm alone I don't feel safe anymore."

"Does having a guardian help you feel safe?"

I look over at Ben for a brief moment. He is standing there watching me with a proud smile on his face.

I return my attention to the Council and smile. "Yes."

"Have you ever done anything to Ms. Hunter that would incite this kind of action?"

"No, in fact until a few days ago, I didn't even know her name."

I can hear a low whisper making its way around the room. I could hear them if I wanted to, but taking my attention away from the Council would be rude. I continue to stand straight and am careful to keep my attention on the Council. Of course, that is much harder than it seems since I had spent most of the last several days looking around for trouble.

"That will be all, Ms. Lockhart."

I return to Ben's side, where I feel the safest these days, and wait for this to be over.

"The Council will now hear from Lucy Carmichael."

Lucy is led into the circle by the same guardian that led her into the office. After asking her basically the same questions they asked me, they dismiss her and she comes over to stand with Ben and me.

Surprisingly, they don't call Ben to testify. But it still doesn't take long for the Council to reach a decision. Personally, I think they had already decided and all this was just for show.

"Abigail Hunter, please rise."

She complies, her fear evident on her face. It has been said that the Council can override your willpower and make you do what they want if you don't comply.

"Abigail Hunter, you have been found guilty of all charges. Do you have anything else to say on your behalf before we pass sentencing?"

The Council may appear to be cold and distant, fearless and cruel, but they give everyone the opportunity to redeem themselves. Even those that admit guilt, and those that show no remorse for their actions.

"No."

The Council is quiet for several minutes, deliberating on the sentence I assume.

"Despite your otherwise exemplary record, Abigail Hunter, it has been decided that you are no longer eligible to graduate as a guardian. It has also been decided that you will never be allowed to become a guardian. You will be returned to Talonia immediately where you will learn to serve others, and you will continue to serve others until this Council is convinced that you have learned from your actions."