Chapter 18 - Part 2

Mona

I can hear John shouting as I regain consciousness.

"I told you she wasn't ready!"

Ben's voice is plagued with anger and fear. "Not ready for what? What the hell is going on here?"

The Council remains calm and insistent. "She is ready."

"No, she's not!"

Ben is starting to get agitated. "Will someone please tell me what is going on?"

"She will take the tests after the ceremony."

My eyes flutter open and I am surrounded by the Council and John. I can see Ben pacing out of the corner of my eye.

"See, she is fine."

I try to sit up, but John puts his hand on my shoulder. "Don't try to sit up yet. You need to rest."

I can't speak for several minutes. My tongue feels thick and my throat is dry. My voice cracks when I do speak.

"What happened?"

The Council remains cold and distant. "You collapsed."

Well, duh. I ignore all the protocol and propriety that has been drilled into me over the years. "Yes, I know that. But why?"

John appears curious and concerned. "Do you remember what you felt before you collapsed?"

I rack my brain, trying to remember. "We were downstairs at the transporter talking to Lucy and everything was back to normal." Ben brings me a bottle of water and I take a long drink. "I felt this strange tugging in my head. It kept getting stronger so I came to ask if you knew what it might be."

"She could feel us."

"Nobody has ever felt us before."

"And I can hear you too. Could you please think quieter? I have a headache."

"That confirms it. She is ready. Were she not ready for the tests these things would not be happening. It is decided. She will take the tests after graduation."

The Council turns and walks out of the room, leaving no room for argument.

Stunned silence fills the air and I can tell Ben is growing increasingly agitated because his pacing becomes rapid and his knuckles are turning white.

I break the silence. "What were they talking about?"

"The Council has decided that you are ready to take your mother's seat, which has been empty since her death. I tried explaining to them that you're too young, but they insisted. The first test has already been completed, and despite your collapse, you passed."

Ben is so upset that he's almost shouting. "You're right, Dad. She's not ready."

"She has all the knowledge she needs. The rest she can learn as it comes up. At least as far as the Council is concerned anyway. They have also decided, and for once I agreed with them, that Mona is ready for permanent bonding with a guardian."

"But I haven't graduated yet."

"And I don't need one anymore. Abaddon is back in prison on Talonia. The danger has passed."

"Please, let me finish. And Ben, due to your exemplary academic records and heroic acts above and beyond the call of duty, you will be granted early graduation."

"But if he graduates, doesn't that mean he's eligible for assignment on Talonia?" I can't stand the thought of losing him, not after all I went through to save him.