Heartbreak

1903, Washington.

It had been two years since Stella had come in my life, I was a well practiced witch now and could almost do all the spells, and knew them all. I was happy contented, I had everything a 16 year old girl should have, well apart from a husband, but I had a very good loving gentleman in my life, Troy.

Stella had thought me everything I needed to know as a witch and my mother had made sure I was good at it.

Yes, she knew all about it. She told me everything about my family and my background and how powerful I was as a witch. Yes she knew about Troy and she loved him just like I did but lesser than me of course.

That night was my 16th birth day.  It was going be a great and lavish party, my mother had called almost the entire village, I had heard a rumor, or should I say, I was eavesdropping, I had overheard Troy speaking to my mother, asking for my hand! He was going to propose me tonight!

And I wanted to look my best! I sat before my dresser looking at my long gown, full of ruffles, it was a in a light blue shade which brought out the purple color of my eyes. (Yes, my eyes were purple) and my hair was cascading down my back in brown curls. In other words I looked stunning, as the gown gently wrapped my thin frame, with its corset and flowed down in ruffles.

There was a gentle knock on my door, and I turned around to see troy leaning on my door, he was wearing a black evening suit. I got up from, my dresser and looked at him, raising an eyebrow.”How am I looking?”

I pursed his lips, trying to think, he then came forward and wrapped his arms around my waist, “perfect,” he whispered in my ear. I giggled.

“Alexis,”Stella’s voice came towards my door, Troy and I immediately separated.

“You my dear, are needed down,” Stella smiled and said. I nodded; I was so excited about tonight.

I made my way downstairs with Stella, she and troy exchanged a nod, strange they don’t greet each other like that.

The moment I reached downstairs, Adrianna hugged me, she was my best friend. “Oh,Oh ,Oh” she screamed, “I can’t believe you are 16!” her excitement was infectious! And she didn’t even know about the best part!

“Thank you!”I said and pulled her into a doorway.

She raised her eyebrows.

“Troy is going to propose me tonight” I said in a excited hushed whisper.

Her face  broke into a dazzling smile, but it only lasted a moment, her face fell.

I scrunched my brows in confusion, “what is it?”

“Al”she said and gulped, “what about your mother?”

“What about her?”

“Has she allowed it?” she clarified.

“Of course, she has!”I said shocked,”why wouldn’t she?”

She took both my shoulders and gave me a shake. “Al!” she said exasperated,”you do know who you are right?”

“What’s wrong with you?”I snapped, here I was expressing her my biggest delight and she was acting all this crazy.

She shook her head,”Al, you are this” she said and gestured with her hands all around, “and troy is-“she asked with a raised eyebrow.

Then it sunk in.

“Oh my god!”How can I be so stupid! My standing in the social system was much, much, much greater than troy! He was just my handmaiden’s son!