Admirers

‘Wow look at the biceps on him, he could pick me up anytime’ Jem giggles staring in the direction of a buff holiday maker across from us.

    I hit her on the arm her constant comments were driving me crazy. Ever since she split from Eric 3 months ago she’s been eyeing up every guy she comes across and her new found freedom had also given her a new found sense of being a slut. Eventually I decide to move away from her continuous dialogue of who's hot and what they’re doing. I walk down to the water’s edge and decide to take a swim in the warm waters. As I emerge I see a smouldering guy walking towards me. I look around to see if he’s walking to anyone in particular but the only person out here was me, I just stand looking nonchalant. The guy has slick black hair from the water and stubble, his cheek bones are chiselled, and I have to stop myself before I started to think like Jem.

   ‘Hi’ he says in my general direction.

   My mouth pops open but no sound comes out. I have no idea why this guy would even be speaking to me, I wasn’t exactly beach model material with my messy brown hair and pale complexion suddenly I feel naked standing with just my bikini on.

   ‘Hi’ I finally reply.

   ‘Just saw you swimming out here. You were looking good, your strokes were strong’ he continues. He actually wants to talk to me about my swim strokes?

   ‘Um yeah I guess they are strong’ I answer confused.

    ‘You here for long?’ he asks and I nod.

    ‘Yeah I have a week here’ I smile.

    ‘Cool maybe we’ll bump into each other again?’

   ‘Sure’ I shrug before he turns to leave.

     ‘Um what the hell was that?’ Jem announces as I return to my sunbed.

     ‘He wanted to ask about my swimming’ I answer completely truthfully.

     ‘I’m sure’ she mumbles eyeing me up suspiciously. ‘You move faster than I do. That will change tonight of course.’

    ‘The guys better watch out then’ Hannah adds laughing.

    I grab my towel and lay back down next to an unconscious looking Sophie before closing my own eyes. After about 10 minutes Jem starts giggling ‘you have another admirer Lis, you sure move fast for someone who isn’t interested.’ 

   I look up confused by what she was giggling at. I had another admirer? Who the hell was I supposed to be looking at? Suddenly I noticed a girl looking straight at me, I was glad I had my sunglasses on I always felt uncomfortable with strangers looking at me directly into my eyes.

    ‘Seriously?’ I mumble looking in the general direction of the girl who was still clearly looking at me. She was wearing cut off shorts with a bikini top. Her hair was glistening red in the sun and I could clearly see she was looking at me as she had her sun glasses on her head.

   ‘You have an admirer?’ Sophie rises from her comatose state, now also interested in our mumbled conversation.  Suddenly the girl looks away before walking quickly away from the gaze of my friends.

    ‘What was that?’ I ask before I notice the girl taking one last glimpse in my direction.

    ‘That is your fan club’ Hannah squeaks in hysterics before the rest of the girls join in. I just lie back down and close my eyes and sigh this was going to be a long holiday.