Resilience

Spotted! Aiden Carter and Vanessa Pablo at hip eatery Dish

Ex-lovebirds, actor Aiden Carter and designer Vanessa Pablo were spotted having coffee at the new Hollywood hot spot. Eyewitnesses say the two spoke in hushed tones, mostly huddled together. The meeting didn't last long, just under fifteen minutes, with Aiden leaving the restaurant first. But what about Aiden's fiancee, wedding planner Emily Jane Miller? Is there tr ouble in paradise? Or is everything old new again?

***

Aiden threw the tabloid magazine onto the coffee table after seeing the pictures that went along with the short blurb on his meeting with Vanessa. He had his hands on his hips as he paced back and forth in his publicist's office.

"Syl, see, this is what I was afraid of!"

"Relax, this is all hearsay. And the two of you did not look cozy or romantic. It's all speculations," Sylvia calmly told the angry young man.

"I just wanted to do what Em J asked me to do. She's so adamant I shut this chapter of my life, and now look what happened! Instead of shutting it, I might've reopened it."

"A, Em J knows what really happened. You did tell her you were meeting with Vanessa, right?" Sylvia asked a silent Aiden. "Aiden, did you hear me? You did tell Em J you were meeting with Vanessa, right?"

Aiden shook his head.

"What?! Why?! I swear, sometimes you are just like your father! Always leaving messes I have to clean up," Sylvia stood up from her chair and touched Aiden's shoulder. "Okay, if this was all Em J's idea anyway, I'm sure you'll get out of this unscathed. But next time, which there better be no next time, don't go meeting ex-girlfriends behind current girlfriend's back. The intentions may be good, but it's better to err on the side of caution."

"I know. You're right. I don't know why I didn't. I was just so frustrated with everything. I hate how Em J gets anytime Vanessa is even mentioned. She knows I love her and only her, but it's like she's convinced Vanessa can snatch me up at anytime. Doesn't she realize that I'm not up for the taking? I don't want to get mad at Em J for being so insecure, but I just want to shake her sometimes."

"Did you know your mother was the same way?" Sylvia asked. Aiden just shook his head. "Ava is such a strong woman, she was in the biz, knew the ins and outs of it, but she wasn't a celebrity. I think that's what it stems from; no matter how sure she was of your dad, there was always a part of her that was scared, especially in the beginning. You and your dad, you're both a part of this glittering make-believe world where everyone is perfect, where only the beautiful people are allowed. For outsiders, there's always gonna be doubt, however unfounded and baseless that doubt may be. It's just the way it is, Aiden. Just be patient with Emily Jane. She knows what she signed up for when she decided to be in a relationship with you. Just never tire of assuring her, okay?"

"Thanks, Syl. I really appreciate it. I love Em J, I really do. I wish I can just erase all her doubts and fears, but I'm trying to understand her. She only got this way with Vanessa, only because she was right, anyway. Vanessa is still hoping it's us in the end."

"Vanessa just needs to figure out her feelings: if she only wants you back because she can't have you anymore or because she genuinely still loves you. Either way, she needs to learn that your heart is no longer hers," she gave Aiden a hug. "Now go to Emily Jane and explain all this," she picked up the magazine and handed it back to him. "Good luck."

"Thanks," Aiden gave her a wry smile. "I'm gonna need it!"

Aiden left Sylvia's office with the magazine tucked inside the back pocket of his black jeans. He got into his car, picked up a dozen red roses, and drove himself to Emily Jane's office. Lily looked up as soon as he walked in through the door and gave him a small smile. That worried him; usually the receptionist greeted him with enthusiasm, always excited to see him. Lily was a true blue fan of AidEm relationship. Aiden smiled back at the petite woman and pointed towards Emily Jane's closed office door. Lily nodded and motioned for him to go right in. Aiden quietly walked in, Emily Jane's chair was turned towards the wall. She was speaking to someone on her cell phone about the pros and cons of chicken versus salmon. He sat on the chair in front of Emily Jane's desk and waited for her to finish her client call.