Extemporaneous

Aiden's phone buzzed against the side table. He lazily opened one eye and looked at his screen. It was an unknown caller. He decided to let it go to voicemail and closed his eyes again. He pulled Emily Jane tighter towards him, caressing her bare back while trying to lull himself back to sleep. His phone buzzed again and it was the same unknown caller.

"Hmmm, Sweetie, maybe you should pick it up. It might be important," Emily Jane mumbled sleepily against his chest.

Aiden reluctantly accepted the call. "Hello?" he said gruffly.

"Hi, Aiden, this is Beatrice, Helen's production assistant."

"Helen? As in Helen DiGiorno?"

"Yes, that's right."

"I was just there a few weeks ago. I have nothing to promote."

"Actually, this call is regarding your girlfriend, Emily Jane Miller."

Aiden immediately woke up at the mention of his girlfriend. What could the popular daytime talk show possibly want with Emily Jane?

"Okay, I'm listening."

"Helen saw a video of her singing at Brandon and Jenna's wedding. It's actually quite popular. It's only been up for a couple of days and it's gotten 200,000 hits already."

"Video?"

"Yup. She is amazing and Helen wants her to guest on the show. Would you be so kind and forward her contact information to us?"

"Um, I'll have to talk to her about it first. I don't go about giving my girlfriend's number out."

"Of course, of course. Perfectly understandable. Please call me back either way."

"Will do. Bye now."

Aiden hung up the phone. He stared up at the ceiling and then at his still sleeping girlfriend. He picked up his phone again and searched for Emily Jane's so called popular video. He turned the volume down and watched a minute of the video. He then scrolled down to the comments, most of the ones he read were positive.

"Aiden, who was that, sweetie?" Emily Jane's sweet voice broke into the silence.

"Helen's production assistant."

"Who's Helen?"

"Helen as in the show, sweetie."

"Okay. They want you to guest again?" she asked absentmindedly.

"Not me. You."

"Me?" she finally opened her eyes.

"Yup. You're an online sensation," he said incredulously and played her video again.

"What?!" she said after seeing just a few seconds of the video. "225K hits? Is this for real?"

"It's very real, Em J," he kissed the top of her head. "What do you say? Helen DiGiorno herself is asking for you," Aiden told her sweetly. "I'm so proud of you, sweetie."

"Sweetie, oh my gosh, I don't know whether to be embarrassed or not."

"Clearly the answer is not," he kissed her on the top of her head as she played the rest of the video and they watched it together. "Sweetie, what do you think I should do?" Emily Jane asked as the video ended.

"Well, I think you should do it. It could just be a one off. Just go with the public demand and then that's it. You do have an amazing voice, sweetie. I know that and you know that. And now 225,000 people know that."

He tickled her armpit and she pinched his side. She stood up and put his discarded button down shirt on and her underwear. She pulled her hair up into a ponytail and went into the bathroom to brush her teeth. She came back out to find her boyfriend still laying down, rewatching her video again. She jumped up on the bed and onto his lap.