Chapter 22

Living in a Jumble of Wishes

Chapter 22

It has been a week since my dad passed away. It was the hardest week of my life. My mom was constantly crying and she wouldn’t even sleep in her room anymore. Every night she would sleep next to me, in my room.

I didn’t sleep at night. I haven’t had a full night of sleep in a week.

Every day I would go inside my dad’s room and just stare at his clothes in the closet. His smell filled the room and while I was in there it felt like he never really left.

I would look at our pictures together and cry for hours.

How did he leave all of a sudden? I still couldn’t comprehend what has happened.

Throughout the whole week my mom and I were surrounded by family and friends. My aunts visited every day and they were next to my mom the whole time and for that I was grateful.

As for me, Carla and Kate were by my side all the time during school and they tried to keep my mind off things.

But Landon played the biggest role in that. Every single day, I would find him outside my house at exactly seven fifteen. He would walk me to school and most of the time our walks were silent but he would always have his arm around my shoulders and when we arrived to my school he would give me a hug, wish me a good day and then go to his school. I knew he was being late every day but he didn’t mind. And after school, he would always wait for me. He wouldn’t wait at the front doors of the school, no, he would wait right in front of the door of my class. And when we got to my house, he wouldn’t leave me, he stayed with me for as long as I wanted him to.

And during the weekend, he stayed at my house from the moment I woke up till the moment I go to sleep. When I would wake up, I would find him there and when I go to sleep, he’ll be there.

My love for him multiplied over this week and I knew that if my dad were here he would’ve gave him his blessing.

I could tell that my mom was grateful that Landon was here because she was more of a mess than me and she couldn’t help me out now.

We were both a mess but we had people that were helping us; that we were sure of.

My bedroom door opened, stopping my thoughts, and Landon walked in with a glass of water and Kitkat in his hands. He gave me the chocolate and put the water on my bedside table.

We had just finished our homework and this had become a routine for us.

I opened the Kitkat and took the first finger. I then cut it in half, giving Landon half and keeping half for myself. We did the same for the next three fingers.

I didn’t know why we didn’t just take two fingers each but I liked it better like that.

When we finished the chocolate, Landon drank half of my water and gave me the other half. I drank it as he went to throw the wrapper.

When he returned, he sat back next to me on my bed. I took his hand in mine and he intertwined our fingers.

I rested my head on his shoulder and sighed.

“Thank you,” I said to him.

“You don’t have to thank me. You do know that I take the Kitkat from your kitchen, right?” He said and I chuckled. I liked how he still made me laugh even with everything that had happened.

“I’m not thanking you for the Kitkat, you ate half of it anyway,” I joked.

“Sharing is caring,” he said and I smiled. I kissed his cheek and nodded.