Chapter 10

Living in a Jumble of Wishes

Chapter 10

“Guess what?!” My mom squealed as she ran into the kitchen where I was sitting, reading my newest Sarah Dessen book.

I memorized the page number before closing the book and placing it on the table. I then lifted my gaze to look at my mom.

I smiled amusedly at her. She looked like a little girl.

“What?” I asked her as I ran my hand over the cover of the book, tracing the letters of the title.

“Your dad is taking me to Paris for five days!” She squealed excitedly, lifting her hands up.

“That’s awesome mom!” I said, grinning happily. She always wanted to go to Paris and now was her chance to finally go.

“It is! I’ll finally get to see the Eiffel Tower and Chateau de Versailles,” she said, sighing dreamily.

I smiled at how happy she was. “When are you guys leaving?”

“The day after tomorrow!” She said and my eyes almost popped out of their sockets.

“What?! So soon?” I asked, shocked.

“Yeah, your dad just surprised me with the news,” She said. “I don’t have to worry about you, right sweetie? You’re a big girl now.”

“Yeah, mom don’t worry about me, I’ll be fine on my own,” I said reassuringly.

“You can invite your friends over whenever you want and you can throw a party or whatever!” She said. 

As soon as she said ‘throw a party’ I got an awesome idea. The populars always throw parties that people at school keep on talking about for weeks so maybe I should throw a party as well?

“Throw a party?” I echoed just to make sure she was okay with it. I didn’t like doing things behind my parents’ backs. It’s not fair to them because they were the best parents a teenager could ask for.

“Yeah,” mom replied, shrugging. “You’re a teenager. You’re supposed to throw parties. Just don’t break anything valuable and lock the rooms upstairs. We don’t want some dirty hormonal teenagers in there now do we?”

I laughed at that and she joined me. “Of course,” I replied. I love my mom!

I then helped her prepare my dad’s favorite food as a small thank you for buying  these tickets to visit Paris.

As I chopped the vegetables for the salad, I started mentally planning the party I wanted to throw when my parents travel.

They will be leaving on Thursday so I could throw the party on Friday night. It will be a nice start for the weekend and everyone would love a party on Friday, right?

I only ever attended one high school party which was Kyle’s party last year. Carla, Kate, and I weren’t really into parties like that so we usually had our own movie nights when everyone from our school was at a really awesome party.

Until one time last year, we decided to go to one of those parties just to see what the fuss is all about. It was Kyle’s party so we put on our best party dresses and went a bit later, when the party was in full swing.

It wasn’t really anything special. It was actually disgusting. People were drunk and throwing up everywhere in the house. Others were making out on the couches or against the walls.

We stayed for around an hour only. We tried to dance and mind our own business but when one guy started forcing himself on Carla we just had to get out of there.