Chapter 14

Living in a Jumble of Wishes

Chapter 14

I tried to convince my parents to let me stay at home on Tuesday. They were going to stay home and I thought that if I stayed home as well I would catch up with them and I would have more time to study for my math test on Wednesday.

Of course mom wouldn’t let me stay at home so I woke up early like every day and I got dressed. My parents were still sleeping when I was having breakfast.

I left for school after opening their bedroom door just to check on them. They were both sleeping deeply so I just smiled and gently closed the door.

The morning flew by and I hoped for the rest of the day to pass just as fast. The weird thing is that the breaks were the slowest times of the day.

I didn’t know if it was because I just wanted the periods to start and end or because I still wasn’t very comfortable around Zack or if it was just the popular group in general.

The first break was spent complaining about Wednesday’s math test and about the math teacher, of course.

On second break, they were bullying a nerd. I hated this the most. I hated when they bullied people. I would stand at the back and just silently watch as fear filled the poor person’s eyes and then he/she would run away, crying. And we wouldn’t see that person around the school anymore. I think all those people find different places to stay at, without having to see the popular group anymore.

Today was no different.

“Him,” Mandy said, pointing at Randy, a short and skinny guy with big black glasses on his face and a physics book in his lap.

He was sitting on his own on the other side of the court just reading something in the physics book. He wasn’t bothering anyone. He didn’t deserve what he was about to get.

I wanted to warn him, tell him that it was his turn today, and to tell him that he should run away while he still can.

But I couldn’t do that. I was part of the popular group. I’m like them now—I should be like them now.

They all stood up and started walking towards him. I walked behind them. They all had smirks on their faces except for me. I was feeling so guilty already.

When Randy felt the shadows above him, he lifted his head and squinted at us. He then pushed up his glasses with his index finger and smiled.

“Hi,” he said politely, offering a friendly smile. Didn’t they feel bad for what they were about to do? One look at their faces clearly said that they didn’t.

“Hello,” Mandy said with her fake sweet voice.

“What are you reading?” Candy asked.

“P-Physics,” he stuttered, looking amazed that the two most popular girls were talking to him. Little did he know that they were talking to him just to crush him and not because they were being friendly.

I tried to make him look at me so that I could give him a sign that it was a trap and he was walking right into it but he was too absorbed with the popular twins to notice me.

I swallowed as Mandy and Kyle shared a smirk. I knew what was coming now.

“You’re good at chemistry?” She asked.

“Yeah,” he replied, looking nervous. What was he thinking right now? I wondered. Was he thinking that she might ask him to tutor her? Or did he think she didn’t mean chemistry as the subject?