Chapter 18

Living in a Jumble of Wishes

Chapter 18

I was so glad that Carla and Kate forgave me. Well kind of. They agreed to come over so that we could talk so it was a good sign.

I also baked the chocolate cake they love.

Bribing some friends with food isn’t so bad, right?

I chuckled at that thought as I put the cake on the kitchen table. My mouth watered just by looking at it.

I glanced at my watch. They should be here in the next five minutes.

I waited patiently for them and a few minutes later, the doorbell rang. I jumped out of my seat and walked to the front door.

“Hey,” I said, giving them a smile and stepping aside to let them in.

They walked in and directly went to the living room where we usually sat. It made me smile. They still felt like they were at home here and I liked that.

“I know you guys are still mad at me,” I said, getting straight to the point. They were sitting on the couch facing the one I was sitting on.

They didn’t deny it. They just shared a look.

I sighed.

“I know I messed up and I’m sorry for that. I just got so carried away with the whole being popular thing that I couldn’t see anymore how horrible these people were and how great you guys were. I know it seemed like I picked them over you but if I was given the choice I would honestly pick you guys and that’s why I’m apologizing right now. I made a mistake.”

“Yeah, you made a mistake,” Kate agreed.

“But we all make mistakes, right?” Carla said, making me smile and nod. “Kate and I talked about this yesterday…”

“Plus, we heard about the speech you gave them,” Kate said, smirking. “They deserved that.”

I laughed. “They sure did!”

They stayed silent so I talked again, “I apologized to the people I made fun of. They were all forgiving. Such sweet people.”

“See? There are a lot of good people out there and the populars are not those people,” Carla said.

“I know that now,” I replied. “I just thought that being popular would make my life perfect but it just made my grades drop and it made me miserable.”

They nodded.

“How did you even become a part of this group?” Kate wondered out loud.

I hesitated but eventually said, “I made a wish.”

“A wish?” They echoed.

“Yeah,” I replied. “I’ve been wishing for things for a while now and they came true.”

They looked at me like I grew another head and I blushed slightly.

“Never talk about the ridiculous wishing thing and we can be friends again,” Kate said and Carla nodded.

I wanted to argue that it was true but I didn’t because they won’t believe me. I mean who would? Plus, maybe it’s just a coincidence anyway. Maybe the wishing thing was just all in my mind. Maybe it was never even there.

“What finally made you realize that you made a mistake?” Carla asked curiously.

I thought for a minute and the words came out on their own and they were true.