Chapter 12

Living in a Jumble of Wishes

Chapter 12

I woke up to my phone ringing. I groaned as I grabbed it from my bedside table. I saw Landon’s name on the screen so I answered it.

“Hello?” I said groggily.

“Did I wake you up?” He said, sounding surprised and guilty.

“Yeah, it’s okay,” I replied.

“Sorry! I thought you would be up by now. It’s already three in the afternoon,” he said and I sighed.

“Yeah but I stayed up late,” I said, yawning.

“How late?” He asked and I could imagine the frown on his face.

“Six in the morning,” I replied, wincing slightly as I said the words.

“Six?!” He said, shocked. “The people didn’t leave before six?”

“No, they did. They left around three but I stayed up till six.”

“Why would you do that?” He asked, sounding confused.

I sighed again. “Can you come over?”

“I was actually calling to ask if you wanted to come over. Hannah would be back in an hour and you could play with her but if you don’t want to that’s okay. I’ll tell her you can come another day.”

“No, I’ll go,” I replied. That would keep my mind off things. Plus, I missed the little girl.

“How about you come now so we can talk before Hannah returns?” he suggested.

“That sounds good,” I replied as I got out of bed. “I’ll just shower first so I’ll be there in around twenty minutes.”

“Okay, see you,” he said before hanging up. I was so grateful I had a friend like Landon. I couldn’t talk to any of the populars about this because Zack was their friend but Landon didn’t know Zack so he could listen to what I had to say about him.

I took a quick shower and didn’t bother putting on make-up or good clothes. I just put on a pair of jeans and a white hoodie. Landon wouldn’t judge me, I knew that. I didn’t need to look good when he was around but when the popular clique was around I had to look my best so that they don’t start talking about me like they talk about all the other people that don’t dress well.

I grabbed my phone and house keys before leaving my house and walking over to Landon’s place.

I rang the doorbell and a couple of seconds later, the door swung open, revealing Landon. He was dressed in black sweatpants and a long sleeved white shirt.

“Hey,” he said, stepping aside for me to come in.

I went in and we sat in the TV room which was slightly smaller than mine but just as cozy.

“What happened?” He asked softly, sitting next to me on the couch.

I closed my eyes when I felt the tears threatening to spill at the mere thought of what almost happened last night.

Suddenly, Landon’s arms were around me, pulling me into a tight hug.

And that was all it took for me to start crying.

He didn’t say anything. He just held me tighter as I cried.

When my tears stopped, I pulled away, feeling my cheeks heat up in embarrassment.