Chapter 8

Living in a Jumble of Wishes

Chapter 8

Friday afternoon finally arrived and I was more than happy that the weekend was here. I didn’t have any plans for the weekend so far especially because Zack was going to be out of town visiting his cousins.

As soon as I stepped inside my house, my phone started ringing. I didn’t need to look at the caller ID to know who it was because that ringtone was specifically for Landon.

“Yo!” I said into the phone as I closed my front door.

“Back from school?” He asks.

“Yup, I just got back home,” I replied as I went upstairs and put my bag in my room.

“You’re up for some ice-cream?” He asked and I grinned.

“Yeah!” I replied.

“I’ll be at your place in five,” he said before hanging up.

I didn’t bother changing the clothes I was wearing all day but I just grabbed a thicker jacket in case we stayed out longer and it got even colder outside.

I went downstairs and waited for him in the living room.

Around five minutes later, I heard the doorbell. I grabbed my phone and jacket and shoved my keys in my pocket as I walked towards the front door.

I opened the front door and grinned at Landon. He was wearing light blue jeans and a black sweater. His hands were in his pockets and his cheeks were red from the cold.

I gave him a hug but he didn’t hug me back.

“Sorry, my hands are freezing,” he said and I slapped the back of his head.

He chuckled and said, “Okay, okay.”

He then removed his hands from his pockets and hugged me tightly. When I wanted to pull away, he didn’t let me. He just pulled me closer to him.

“You’re keeping me warm,” he said, burying his head in the crook of my neck, making me shudder when his cold cheek touched my warm skin.

“We can’t walk like that to the ice-cream shop,” I joked. “So you should let go.”

“Sure we can,” he said then he started walking and I gasped as I made my legs move backwards so that we don’t fall.

I then tripped on something and we both fell.

“Landon!” I groaned. “You’re such an idiot.”

He laughed and shook his head to remove his hair from his eyes.

He stood up and gave me his hand. I took his cold hand and he lifted me up.

“Sorry about that,” he said as we started walking normally, side by side, to the ice-cream shop.

I just chuckled. It was actually funny.

“So how was school?” He asked.

“Good,” I replied, shrugging. “My grades are becoming good again.”

“That’s great!” He replied, smiling proudly at me.

We got to the ice-cream shop soon. Matilda, the owner of the ice-cream shop, smiled when she saw us.

“How are you two today?” She asked us as she started preparing the usual.

“Good,” we replied simultaneously and smiled.