Part 9 - Security

Cory's POV

Well, that was interesting, I think after closing the door to turn to James. He's nowhere in sight, and I discover him by one of the windows in my living room.

"What are you doing?" I ask.

James continues to look at the window before turning to me with a smile. "Just looking at the old workmanship of these windows. They certainly don't make them like they used to. Have you ever thought of installing a security system?"

"No, not actually. After all, visitors have to be buzzed in and I'm on the third floor, in case you didn't notice. Unless Spiderman decides to drop on, I think my place is pretty secure."

James' brow furrows a bit then he puts back on his mask, this time adopting an 'I'm just plain ol' James' demeanor.

He shrugs. "I was just thinking, a single girl like you might consider extra security."

"So, is it because I'm single or that I'm a girl that's causes you to think I'm unable to defend myself?" I ask, annoyed.

The mask drops and I see a glint of worry and anger in his eyes.

"Bloody hell, Cory! You let strange men in, accepting them at face value. Do you know how dangerous that is?"

I flinch internally at his tone. Yes, I do know how dangerous it is. In fact, I'm a little concerned about my safety right now, I think.

He stalks toward me and I take a step back. Without warning, he reaches for me with his long arms and takes me into a hug. We're both silent for a moment before he finally speaks.

"I'm just concerned about you, Love, that's all," he whispers into my hair. I relax a bit at his soft tone, but I'm still wary.

"I appreciate your concern. Really, I do," I say, pulling back slightly to look in his eyes. He must have seen something in my look, a bit of my remaining wariness or even fear, and he pulls me back into a tighter hug.

"I'm sorry, Cory. I truly am. It's just...I think you may take unnecessary chances, and I can't stand the thought of something happening to you," he says just before kissing my cheek tenderly.

My remaining worry melts at his soft touch and words, and I relax in his arms. He takes a few calming breaths before releasing me. He walks away from me to look out the window before turning to me with a smile.

"Well, that was a bit of excitement. No harm done," he says with a chuckle, but I don't think for a minute he's over it.

"Yes, well, I think you may be right. I'll work with my agent to find a suitable gallery to display my works," I say, feeling that his warning is something I should heed.

"That's my girl," he says with obvious relief in his eyes.

"Well, I guess I should be on my way. I'll see you this evening, yes?" he asks.

"Yes. Of course. 7:00 pm."

I walk him to the door, and he takes me into another hug. As we pull back, he kisses me, more deeply than our kiss last night. As I start to lose myself in it, he pulls away, stepping toward the door.

"Until tonight," he says, squeezing my hand.

"Yes," I say, shutting and locking the door behind him.

Well, that was even more interesting, I think.

James' POV

I take out my phone as soon as I get in my car.

"Robert, it's James. I've found Mr. Z...or rather, he found me." I tell him to get Chris and meet me at the warehouse.