Chapter 5 - The Party

Cory's POV

The party is about to start. Tom and Emma are here and greeting the arriving guests. Emma has told me that it's James' job is to pick up their mom. Emma seems very nice, apologizing several times for any inconvenience they may have caused. I can't help but feel happy with my choice to allow the party. After all, it's clear that they love their mom.

The buzzer sounds, and Emma whisper yells "They're here!"  I walk to the buzzer to answer. "Yes?"

"Good evening. I have an appointment with Cory Mayer," James says. I hit the buzzer before saying, "Come on up."

Emma organizes everyone so that they are more or less out of sight just before there's a soft knock on my door. Apparently, the ruse is that James has brought his mum here to choose a painting for her birthday. Tom told me that they chose James for this little undercover operation because (a) he can keep a straight face even if their mom starts grilling him, and (b) he usually takes his mom shopping for her present.

I open the door, smiling at James and the woman I assume to be their mom. I can tell immediately that she's a sweet woman by the twinkle in her eye and the smile on her face. By contrast, James looks like someone has twisted his arm to get him here.

"Hello. Please come in," I say as I open the door wide for them to enter. They barely make it in before Emma and the others jump out, shouting "Surprise!"  Their mom places her hand to her chest and her smile grows wider.

"Emma Elizabeth! How dare you scare your mum like that. And where is Thomas! I know he's in on this as well." Tom comes from behind Emma to give his mom a hug and kiss.

"Were you surprised?" he asks. "So much so that I may need to return home to change my knickers," she says. I can't help but laugh at her response, causing her to turn to me.

"I trust that you are actually Cory Mayer?" she asks. I nod as she takes one of my hands into both of hers. "I'm Diana, and I love your work." I smile, thanking her before she turns to the third partner-in-crime.

"And you," she says to James. "You pulled the wool over your mum's eyes." Then she pulls him in for a hug, and he stoops to kiss her on the cheek and whisper, "Happy birthday, Mum. I love you."

"I love you, too, James."

When he pulls back from the hug, I see a soft affection in his eyes for his mom. So he is human, I think before the other guests come forward to offer their well wishes.

I decide to stay on the fringes for much of the festivities as I know I'm an outsider. I have to admit, being at this gathering makes me a bit wistful for my own parents.

Mom and Dad were killed in a car accident when I was eight. After their deaths, I was sent to live with my mom's brother, Uncle Ted. To say he was eccentric would have been an understatement.

Uncle Ted was a choreographer in New York. He loved the glitz and glamor of the stage, and he encouraged me in that area. Being somewhat shy, the stage was not for me. I still gravitated toward the arts, becoming enamored when I once saw a revival play being produced in which the backdrops were hand painted. Uncle Ted introduced me to Millie Freedman, the artist.

She took me under her wing at the tender age of 15, and I started working with her during school breaks. When I graduated from high school, Uncle Ted and Millie scratched together enough money for me to attend art school in Paris for the summer. After spending the summer learning all I could, I stayed on, working at menial jobs and sleeping on people's sofas until my work started to sell. Having established a clientele in France and Germany, I decided I wanted a change of scenery and jumped the Channel to move to London two years ago.