Chapter 3 - Plans (Part 1)

James' POV

I meet Tom and Emma as agreed, though I'm in no mood for party planning. The deal I've been working on is close to collapsing, and I'm more focused on the ruthless side of my business dealings than Mum's birthday.

As I walk into the pub, I struggle to change my demeanor to that which my family is accustomed to seeing. There have been very few times in the years that I've taken up this business that they've seen anything different. Yes, I'm more guarded than I was in my youth, but service in the military will do that to a man. I allow Mum and the others to think that's what changed me, not the bullshit I have to deal with everyday.

"There he is!" Emma says, standing to give me a hug and kiss on the cheek. Tom does the same, giving me a brotherly hug with a pat on the back.

We sit, and I order a Guinness from a passing waitress. She does a double take at Tom and me, though I'm used to the attention. That's one of the tough parts of my business - trying to fly under the radar only to have a brother who's a famous actor. Hell, I'm always confused with him given that we are identical twins, with the only visible differences being that Tom can raise one eyebrow and I can actually wink without having to concentrate to do it. Well, that and the fact that Tom has only recently bulked up for various roles, whereas my bulk is a requirement for the position I hold. Being 6'2" helps in intimidating my foes, but being able to grab them by the throat and throw them against a wall is a bonus.

"So, I think Mum suspects something," Emma starts.

"What do you mean?" Tom asks.

"Well, it seems she been nosier than usual when visiting my flat, looking around in the hopes of discovering our plans."

"What if we just hold it at Mum's?" I ask. Tom sighs and Emma rolls her eyes at me. What do I know about planning a surprise party? After all, a surprise in my world is rarely ever a good thing, I think.

"That won't due. There's no way we could get everything together without her knowing," Emma says. "And we can't use Tom's place. Heaven knows there's paps camped out in front 24 hours a day."

Emma and Tom both stare at me.

"No. Absolutely not," I say as I can see the wheels turning in their minds.

"Why not? You have the biggest flat of all of us, and since you never have us over, Mum won't suspect a thing," Tom says with a smirk. I take a long pull from my Guinness while I search for a proper response.

"It's not possible. I'm having some renovations done that will not be completed in time," I say.

"When will they be done?" Emma asks.

"When is the party?" I counter.

"Well, the best day is Saturday, the twelfth."

"The renovations will still be in full swing. Sorry," I say, hoping to shoot this particular line of conversation down once and for all. I absolutely cannot have my family in my flat. Too many skeletons in the closet, if you get my meaning.

Emma drums her fingers on the table in thought while Tom leans back slightly to look at the ceiling. A smile forms on his lips before he looks from Emma to me.

"I have an idea. It's a bit unorthodox so hear me out." Emma looks at him eagerly, though I have a creeping feeling that I'm not going to like his idea.

"Cory Mayer," he says.

"The artist who sold you the painting?" Emma asks.

No, I absolutely do not like where this is going, I think.

"Yes. What if I ring her and ask if we can have the party at her loft?" Tom says.

"Do you think she will do it?" Emma asks.

"I don't know, but it's worth a try. After all, I might as well use the Hiddleston charm for good instead of evil for a change," Tom says with a smirk. I wonder for a bit if Tom has a clue what true evil looks like.

"That's brilliant, Tom," Emma says. "Then Mum could see her other paintings as well. It'd be like having the party in an art gallery. I love it!"

I'm still not sold on the idea. "Don't you think it's a bit much to ask if Ms. Mayer to host a party simply because we purchased one of the paintings?" Tom shrugs at this. "It won't hurt to ask. Besides, we can compensate her for her efforts. Who knows, maybe I'll even ask her on a date."

I look at the table, trying to cover my annoyance. "As usual, I suppose it will be Prince Thomas to the rescue," I mumble. Emma drapes her arm over my shoulder.

"Don't worry, James. You're still the older twin, so you'll always be King James," she says. I chuckle at her comment, shaking off my foul mood.

"Alright. So what else do we need to cover before the festivities," I say. We discuss other aspects of the party before saying our goodbyes. As we walk out of the pub, Emma gives me a quick hug then does the same with Tom.

"Please ring her as soon as possible to find out if she will help us," Emma says to Tom.

"I will. I may even pay her a visit to include my dazzling smile and frequent use of the word Darling," he says with a smile.

I walk to my car, thinking of Cory. It would be a great party for Mum at her loft, but I don't know if seeing her again is best for me.

For the love of God, please don't let the Hiddleston charm work this time, I think as I start to drive.