Chapter 29: Runaway

A/N: You've made it to the last chapter and I want to thank anyone out there who has read up to this point. However this is not the end of the saga. For those interested in reading on what happens next to Troy and the rest of the characters, check out "Chasing Blue" for the ultimate conclusion to the series. What are your thoughts on what lies next for Troy? I would love to hear from you!

*****

I made a choice. I ran. I ran faster than I ever did; down the road heading to the town of Apathia. In front of me was a chariot up ahead. If only I could catch up to it then maybe the driver might intervene. Just then one of the dogs closed in for the attack. Its teeth nipped my bare ankles.

I yelped in pain as the dog continued gnawing at my heel. I stumbled forward, catching myself before falling over. I could not afford to fall. Not now. Just when it stood on its hind leg, poised to attack, I kicked it between the eyes. I did not have time to stop and see if I killed it. All I knew was that I still had two vicious dogs closing in.

I waved at the driver. "Stop! I need help!" I exclaimed. The chariot slowed. He motioned for me to jump while it was still moving. Without hesitation, I lunged myself forward, making a loud thud upon landing. I looked up in horror to find the 2nd dog launching itself inside, catching my dangling legs with his teeth. I thrashed and kicked, forcing the dog to relinquish its bite. Just when I poised my leg to kick the dog, it lunged for my throat. Its teeth only grazed the neckline of my tunic. I shoved the dog off me before it could clamp its jaws on my collar. It was me against a vicious dog but I was not prepared to die. Not like this. I wrestled with the dog, before landing a punch to its jaw. As the chariot swerved to the right, I lost my footing, toppling over the dog.

Through the growls I could make out the driver's shout. "Get off him you filthy mutt!" The dog forced its way back on top. I held my hands out, shielding my face from his gnashing teeth. Then without warning the dog made a loud squeal before going limp on top of me. A blade found its way plunged into its skull. I pushed the dead weight off the chariot, letting the beast collapse in a heap on the road. I silently thanked the stranger for his brave actions, but there was still one dog left pursuing the chariot as the horses sped up. The driver gave me his last arrow. Although my mind was still cloudy over what happened I knew what I had to do to end it all. As I drew my hand back to lunge the arrow in his skull, the dog stopped in its track. The rabid look in its eyes softened as if the dog somehow remembered me. I shuddered at the thought that the beloved dog I once owned was trained to kill me. I dropped the arrow.

Turning my attention to my wounds, I rocked my throbbing ankle, now oozing with blood. I tore a fringe of my tunic to stop the flow of blood. However even wrapping the wound proved to be agonizing.

The driver looked over his shoulder, catching me wincing as I finished wrapping the bite marks. Those pitiful gray eyes lingered at my blood-stained tunic. His face looked awfully familiar. Then it dawned on me that was the same man that offered me that strange oily concoction that promised to make the nightmares go away. Augustus. I remembered taking the medicine faithfully until the day I ran off with Romeos. The fear that the dreams would return was a strong motivator but now I no longer had it. I wished that maybe I would wake up the moment I found myself in the prison, or when the vicious dog bit my flesh. But the problem was, I was still awake. The horrible turn of events became one long nightmare I could not wake up from.

"How bad is the wound?" he asked.

"I have some deep incisions from the bite. But I think it could have been worse," I said. Just swallow the pain like I have been doing I told myself.

"My, were those crazed dogs! I wonder what possessed them?" he muttered under his breath. I already knew the answer but I remained silent. "I was going to the fisherman's post," he continued, "but I suppose I should take you home to recover. I am certain they would want to know if you are well."