Chapter 1: Dark Rider

A/N: This is the sequel to my previous story "Roman Identity," which is also uploaded on Wattpad. This story takes place about a year after the previous story ends. A prelude has been added for new readers to the series.

Chapter dedicated to the talented creator of my original trailer who made this epic trailer which has been reloaded. Enjoy!

******

Prelude - 10 years earlier

It was the lazy days of summer, before the stifling heat would come to an end and the nights would grow long and cool. It was also a wonderful time to be a child. The three brothers romped about in the small field surrounded by massive trees and thick underbrush. Here rules did not apply. The massive boughs coated with moss concealed them from prying eyes. In the heart of the thickets, lied the forest's best kept secret. Fireflies. Every night the dancing lights would come out to play as the skies darkened. At ten years of age, Troy was delighted that his older brother Apollus had decided to come here with them tonight. Even though his brother was two years older, he still had not outgrown the wonders of watching as well as catching fireflies. But for Barbarius, being the oldest at fourteen, this would be his last time joining them.

"Barbarius!" The voice seemed to shake the leaves from the trees. They knew the clear firm voice well even when his face remained hidden in the thickets. Father. "Leave the fireflies alone for your brothers. You are too old to go chasing fireflies. You are going to leave your childishness behind you if you want to be king," he muttered gruffly.

"All right," Barbarius groaned, rolling his eyes. He knelt down and placed the jar next to a fallen log. He wistfully looked at the jar as he slowly backed away, slowly heading towards the dense foliage where his father waited. The two younger brothers found his jar and stared at it with wonder and envy.

"He has so many," Troy said with a sigh.

"I wish I could take one," Apollus said. "Maybe I could borrow some of his."

Troy looked at the bugs all crammed in the jar as they crawled around each other or flew and hit the sides of the glass jar. With his small hands, he opened the lid. Before he got it halfway open, the critters scrambled to escape. He was overwhelmed as the sparks buzzed in his face as if they were angry for holding them captive. The glowing sparks flew over his head and into the violet sky.

"Close the lid!" Apollus shouted. Troy fumbled with the lid until it was closed again. By now most had escaped. In a last ditch attempt they tried to recapture them, but with little success. Before long they realized that Barbarius was gone and they needed to run along before they too were forgotten. Those were the times of innocence. It was a time of care-free bliss when laughter could be heard from the mouth of babes. A time of joy that could be seem...felt... heard...touched, and tasted with the all the senses that ran through them like water. Soon it would be left alone in the dark woods to be abandoned and forgotten, but only time would tell if they were forever forgotten.

-To present-

Chapter 1: "Dark Rider"

"Troy. You want to race down the hill to the trees?" Romeos asked with a mischievous glint in his eyes. Both of our horses slowed to a halt. Everything always seemed to be a game to him. Then again I was used to it by now. Although we were opposites, I had gotten closer to him than his twin brother Julius. One of the few things he was serious about was his goal to be admitted to the prestigious rhetoric school. That was where all the wealthy families sent their sons when they became men at 16 to become well-versed men. For me the world...well at least the island lay in front of me. However, I still answered to one person.