Chapter 19: Suspicious Minds

"Suspicious Minds"

"Father. Mother," Romeos called out. His voice flowed through the partitions of the vestibule that separated the storefront that faced the busy street. Only no patrons entered its doors. I trudged behind Romeos as I took in the colorful frescos that brought fresh life to the airy room.

Julius was the first to greet him with a smile. "Romeos, there you are. I was hoping we could have ridden together..." Julius faltered as I emerged from behind.

"Troy? What a pleasant surprise," he said scratching his head. "So...what brings you here?" he asked.

I turned to Romeos. "Romeos invited me as a guest." Romeos confirmed my words with a toothy grin.

"I thought that you could not... I mean why do you want to stay with us?" Julius asked with raised eyebrows.

"Long story," I mumbled.

"Oh," he said, pursing his lips together. "So," he began, "what happened to your face? It looks like you got into a scuffle." I stroked the tender flesh under my left eye as he spoke, feeling for the swelling he was eyeing.

Romeos let out a sigh. "Not now Julius. I will tell father and mother myself. After all Silus has come over several times without a proper invitation."

Julius sighed before answering in a terse voice. "Well, this is kind of different." Julius waved us in. "Well just go ahead before..."

"Before what?" a man answered. A matured man dressed in a toga came strolling around the impluvium with his wife. His beady eyes gazed at me for a moment before turning to the twins. His mother tossed me a wary glance before resting her big eyes on her husband.

"Never mind," Julius muttered under his breath. For a stretch of time there was an uncomfortable silence.

Romeos stepped forward. "Well, mother, father, I have a guest here that you know well of. I was thinking maybe we could make him feel welcome." His father simply stared at Romeos with a blank expression.

"This is a bit abrupt of you Romeos. I did not expect the son of the king to suddenly show up at our residence," he said in a stern voice. "I suppose we have not prepared any exquisite dinner to welcome our guest. So what brings you here Troy?" the father asked, keeping his eyes trained on me. What should I say? I just need to think of something in the moment that sounds palatable.

"Romeos told me on the ride here that I was welcomed at your residence since the last time I came over.

"Well, it has been awhile," the mother said softly as she gazed into her husband for further approval.

The father nodded. "You have changed Troy but so have many other things. I am sure your family is inquiring about you. Is everything well with you?" he asked.

Where do I even begin with a question like that?

"Why do you have your hands to your face?" his mother blurted in her shrilly voice. I forgot my hand was cupped just below my eye.

"I am well. Nothing but mere bruises."

His father walked closer to me, his eyes unflinching. "Let me see. If it is serious I can have the slaves dress the wound." It was no use hiding it anymore. The mother gasped as my hand retreated from my face.

"Boys will be boys, or should I say men will be men," he said with a smirk. He resembled Romeos when he made that face. "So you got this at the gymnasium or at home?"

"At the gymnasium," I replied matter-of-fact. "It was a vigorous wrestling match," I continued in a steady voice.

He cocked an eyebrow. "Looks like it got quite intense," he remarked. "In any case you are a guest so it would be wrong to turn you away. You can recline at the couch," he said pointing to the couch bordering the glistening pool. "They are simple but hopefully you will find them to be of your liking," he said. I looked down at the wooden legs that held it up before returning their hospitality with a weak smile. The mother turned her head away, before the two walked off towards the right wing of the atrium.