Chapter 12: Part 2

"Hide and Seek"

"This is bad! If he found out that you and I were alone... and fell asleep together!" Priscilla mouthed.

"He does not have to know. Besides it is not like we did anything anyways."

"But we almost did," she interjected. "Look Troy, I do not know if you forgot about what 'lying down together' entails but he is not going to think that is what only happened. Especially if a boy and girl are found alone sleeping. It looks too suspicious."

"Well if he really loves you he will trust you if you told the truth," I countered. Priscilla heaved a long sigh. The footsteps were growing louder.

"I knew this should have never happened. I should have never agreed to this," Priscilla sighed, shaking her head.

"You know what...you are right," I said softly. "This was a mistake," I said grimly. I walked away slowly trying not to look at her.

"Troy," she whispered.

"What?"

"You have to hide. Please! There is no telling what he will do," she pleaded in hushed tones.

"I will get out your way, so I do not mess up your life," I said, rolling my eyes.

"Who are you talking to Priscilla?"

"Run!" She mouthed. I quickly scampered across the clearing and ducked behind a hedge of bushes.

"Um nothing! I am just talking to myself," Priscilla replied.

"Oh really. I thought I heard someone with you." Priscilla better come up with a better lie right about now. "Why so pale, my dear?" he added. "It looks like you seen someone dead." Not yet I thought to myself.

"Oh no, you scared me a little," Priscilla said in a coy voice.

"I was worried about you being alone in the woods. I should have never let you go by yourself."

"No need to worry. I am well thank you."

"Is that a leaf in your hair?" Through the opening in the leaves, I could see Priscilla scrambling to brush the leaves out her tangled hair.

"Oh I fell asleep. Trekking the forest can be tiresome," she said, flushing.

"Well as long as you are all right," he said stroking her hair. "I wonder what you were doing here this late."

"I wanted to see the fireflies. They are really pretty to watch."

"You should have told me. I would like to enjoy it with you next time."

"Yes the little sparks are gone now," Priscilla said flatly.

"Oh they do not have to be. We can make sparks together," he said holding her closer. I cringed at the unseemly sight of them sharing a kiss, but at the same time I could not help but look and wish that it could be me. Maybe she has found love. And who am I to deny it. As I could take no more of it, I slowly crawled away on all fours. Just when I was about almost thirty paces away, I accidentally knocked the jar with the firefly that I hid.

"What was that?" I could hear him say.

"It is probably an animal," she replied.

"Well, I need to see for myself." I could hear the sound of metal cutting the air. My blood chilled.

"Please do not be hasty. Do not let that ruin the moment."

"Too late!" he snapped. It was then I realized my cloak was still by the log!