Chapter 24: Lockdown

It is time to say goodbye to the old era and welcome the start of a new one! It is time..."

Those words spoken by father would echo through me in the coming days. They would echo through the dense walls and marble pillars that enclosed me. I was not ready to leave the house even if I was allowed to. It took every fiber of my being just to set foot into his old room. To smell the aroma of frankincense that filled my nostrils. I stopped shy of the empty bed when I noticed a wooden plaque propped against the pillows. I picked it up. Staring at me were golden eyes with a splash of green. Fine lines were smoothed over, capturing a fresher more vibrant Miletus before his final days. Memories of him visiting me when I was the one in bed flooded my head. I dropped the placard on the sheet to wipe the salty tears that stung my eyes.

"Troy. I thought I would find you here..." I looked up to see Apollus approaching. After I wiped my eyes I forced myself to face him.

"I just want you to know that you are not alone..." Before he could finish the words, I hugged him tight, burying my head into his toga. In a muffled voice, I croaked, "Thanks." For a brief moment I felt like I was embracing a stiff post in a gesture that seemed uncomfortable for the both of us. But then Apollus did something I had not expected. He hugged back. While he stood there calmly I wet his garment with my tears. "I wish I was always in control," I let out between sobs. Apollus remained silent before he withdrew.

Staring at me were those glossy green-specked eyes. The same look he gave me when he thought he was going to lose me to the knife. "I know I have to be strong for you," he began. His breathy voice trembled. "I have to be perfect now." My lips quivered, aching for him to stop. Please stop. "But I still..." he choked. I placed a shaky hand on his shoulder to steady him. I bit down on my lip as tears flooded my vision. Maybe I did not have to be strong anymore.

Apollus took a deep breath, before rubbing his reddish eyes. "There are so many memories here that I just wish you could remember..." he faltered when he saw my face fall. "Sorry. I should have not rubbed salt to injury," Apollus said in a rueful voice.

"You did not mean to make me feel bad. I just wish that I could recall more about him. I just have a couple months' worth of memories while you and Barbarius have years to recall."

Apollus hesitated before answering. "I am certain though that those few months were packed with precious memories that will not leave you."

I prayed that I did not lose the memories I did gain! I sighed. "I just wish there was a way that I can gain what I lost."

"They are not truly gone Troy. They are inside you. I think grandfather was trying to tell you that only you can unlock the memories. I believe that is what he meant by the 'key,' before he died." He pointed to me.

"So I am supposed to be the 'key?' "

"That would make sense." I nodded. "What I do know is that grandfather had much to impart, and that is why I think you deserve to have his journal." Apollus reached for the codex lying on the lampstand. My hands wrapped tightly around the leather bound book. I did something I had not done for days. I smiled.

"He was used to writing in scrolls but codices look like it may win appeal over the masses," Apollus continued. "I suppose times are changing." His lips parted into a wide grin at my reaction. After I thanked Apollus repeatedly, I carried the codex to my room where I placed it on my lampstand furthest from the oil lamp. I dropped to the floor, pulling the record from underneath the bed.

"What are you doing Troy?" My father's voice filled the room. I shoved the record back under the bed.

"I am just putting away old scrolls away," I replied swiftly. Father stood there nodding.