Chapter 13: Revelations

"Revelations"

"Troy." The sound of my name from his mouth, made my muscles tense, my eyes narrow into tight slits. Waiting to greet me from the side door was Apollus. His usual conceited smile was nowhere to be found.

"Where have you been? The hour is late." I walked right past him without saying a word.

He stood in front of me. "You are not going anywhere past me until you tell me what took you so long," he demanded.

"Why must I answer to you? Who made you my guardian?" I hissed.

"I did," he said. His mouth spread into a sardonic smile. "I am older, remember. I believe I have a right to look after my younger brother."

"Since when did you care what happens to me?" I spat.

"I know, I know. I have not been the best brother. But I was truly worried when you did not come back. It is not like you at all."

"Thanks for your concern," I said flatly, "but I am going to bed."

"So where did you go? I am certain you have a good explanation," he said grabbing my left arm.

"I do not wish to share," I said, wresting his unwanted hands around my bicep.

"Perhaps you will if I tell father."

"You better not tell him!" I warned.

"Not until you tell me where you were."

"Fine! I was in the forest watching the fireflies and I lost track of time and I fell asleep. Are you satisfied?"

"Oh, that is all?" he said raising an eyebrow.

"Yes. Now let me sleep."

I curled up in the sheets, trying to ignore the sun rays that bled through the window.

"You know you eventually have to wake up to face the day," the slave girl as if she was amused. I mumbled something unintelligible under my breath before burying my head into the squishy pillow.

"You had a rough night I suppose," she said softly. "Your breakfast is waiting for you. You do not want it to get cold." After a while I dragged myself out of bed and trudged to the dining table. Thankfully, father already left before I got there, so there was one less person to answer to, yet grandfather and Apollus were still reclining on the couch.

"So how are you Troy?" grandfather asked. "I did not see you yesterday evening."

"Oh I am doing well," I said clearing my throat. "I just stayed out too late in the forest haven by the seashore."

Grandfather nodded. "Yes you did stay quite late. Your father and I were worried where you snuck off to. We thought that you went to see Barbarius at the villa. Next time tell us before you go. Anything could have happened to you and we just cannot afford—"

"I know. I will not do that again," I cut in. "Sorry. I am sorry I wasted my time," I muttered.

"It looks like Barbarius has been a bad influence on you," Apollus said, laughing.

I scowled. "No! And speaking of such why do you have so much animosity against him?"

"Well, let us review shall we. He almost tried to kill me!" he snapped. "He is the one with the animosity, brother."

"I know that was wrong. Both of you were in the wrong. But he did try to help put out the fire and revive you when you got consumed by the smoke. Does he still sound like a killer to you or a person that had a change of heart that is trying to do what is right? Do not forget who tried to provoke him to the limit."