Chapter 9: Flash from the Past

"Flash from the Past"

A shrill cry roused me from the dream. It sounded like a bird. Whatever alarmed the winged creature lurked outside, waiting. I peered out the window placed above my bed hoping to spot the winged creature in the scattered trees. But instead a blanket of fog consumed the sky and trees. The dew from the evening rain still hung in the air I breathed. I rubbed my eyes wondering if I was still dreaming. I blinked again, only to find the heavens still shrouding the land. As ominous as it appeared I found myself entranced by its beauty.

Moments later the slave girl entered. I began my morning getting dressed into a new tunic while another slave who acted as a hairdresser tamed my curls with olive oil. When they appeared satisfied with their work they excused themselves from my company. Shortly after, feet shuffled in. Alexander's face brightened when he saw me. "Are you ready?"

"Whenever you are," I answered, rising to my feet. I limped alongside him, past the guard that hovered by the vestibule was the gateway between our home and what lay beyond. The fence seemed to emerge from the fog as we treaded the soggy field. By the time we arrived at the middle of the fence another slave gripped the reins of the two horses. The two horses seemed to greet us with their bobbing heads. They both stood taller than Alexander and me. I should be terrified of them by I was fascinated by their grace and beauty. These noble creatures were not scary in themselves. Just scary to ride.

"It is a little foggy out, but it is slowly starting to diminish. Let us make this quick," the handler said. He clearly had other tasks he would rather attend to.

The plan was simple. The horse handler would pretend to be me. He would start all the way by the lone juniper tree. The "dark rider" played by Alexander would start by the well I estimated to be about 30 paces back by the stone well. When Alexander waved a red cloth, the chase would begin.

"Where should I be in this?" I asked them.

Alexander hesitated before answering. "I think you should be stationed closer to the gate along the fence. Make sure the gate stays closed. If everything goes smoothly perhaps we can start getting some answers." I nodded. I could not contain my growing smile. But behind the smile was a growing unsettled feeling. This had to work. I honestly saw no other way.

I waited for them to gallop to their positions. Then an eerie silence settled. I twiddled my thumbs waiting. Through the dense fog it started with the low rumble of hooves pounding the earth. Escaping from the mist were two riders. The horse handler skillfully swerved the horse left and right as Alexander and his black horse bridged the gap between them. Instead of the handler, I saw myself on the saddle. Chills traveled down my back, leaving me numb.

"Open the gate! Someone is chasing me!"

I could hear the words echoing inside my head. I winced, at the faint image of me running away. I forced myself to pay attention back to the chase at the present. They were getting closer and closer...and closer. The horses were moving at speeds unmatched as the legs barely licked the grassy surface. Then I saw it in the corner of my eye...an outline of another horse amidst the fog that cloaked the horizon. Trying to take my mind off the diversion, I watched as the horse's robust legs began to charge in my direction. I cringed at the sight of my hands losing their grip on the reins as I slid off the back of the flailing horse. I smacked the ground, bounced off only to hit my head once more on the ground. I lied lifeless as Alexander scrambled to my body as the horse regained its balance. The horsemen by then had quickly galloped into the thickets to the west.

"We did it!" Alexander shouted, snapping me from my stupor. He pumped his fist in the air as the horse landed squarely on all four legs. The handler had made it on the other side of the fence. Unlike me, his jump was successful.