Harder

Gabe POV

We laid next each other after we had just made love. We have been trying to have a baby. We had been trying for months now. It has only been a month since the wedding and Birdy is already pregnant. We had decided to make an appointment in Juneau with a specialist. We would be leaving in a few hours. Grace turned her back to me. I didn't want her to think it was only her fault. Then I remember she had told me, her mother had died when she was little.

Grace POV

I turned my back to Gabe because I didn't want to look at him. I knew it was my fault we couldn't get pregnant. The sun was coming up as I got up to get my shower. I was dressed in my gown and boots to take my shower. There was chill in the air as it was getting close to winter. I made it to the shower. I started the water as I got undressed. I let the water run over my head and body. The best place to cry was the shower. I guess I was crying louder than usual when the door opened. My hands go around my body to cover myself but it was just Gabe. I knew Gabe didn't want me cry about anything. He shut door and stripped himself. He started cleaning my body, not in a sexually way but in a loving way. Then washed my hair. I didn't feel like washing him so I got dressed the best I could and walked back to the house.

Gabe POV

I washed myself quickly not wanting to take all of the hot water. I get back to the house to see her wrapped up in a blanket on the bed. It get myself dressed for the ride into town. We were taking the 10:00 ferry to Juneau. It was already 9, we needed to get going. "Babe, we need to leave soon to meet the ferry." She didn't say a word as she got dressed. It took her ten minutes to get ready. The whole family was going to Hoonah to see us off. We all got onto the Integrity.  There was silence the entre journey into town. We had five minutes to spare as the ferry was about to leave. I took my wife's hand as we boarded. We took a seat inside and she laid her head on my shoulder. She was getting nervous as we got closer to the next port. The ferry docked into the port. We had an appointment with the doctor in the next two hours.  We found the right office and decided to stop at the small coffee shop across the street. "I'm scared on what he might tell us. What if it is my fault?" "Don't be scared, I will be by your side no matter what. It could also be my fault. We won't know until we take the test okay?" She took my hand as we watched the rain fall.

Grace POV

The appointment was in thirty minutes as we made our way inside the office. The lady in the front had us fill out forms for the doctor. We had all of the paperwork filled out as a nurse called us back. We went into separate rooms. They took test after test and I went through a full body exam with having my blood drawn. They finally finish all of the tests as they lead me to an office. Gabe is already sitting down in one of the chairs. The doctor was sitting behind his desk. The doctor wanted to wait until I had finished with my tests to sit us down. Gabe took my hand as the Gabe result's came in an envelope. He checked it over as he told us nothing was wrong with Gabe. The same nurse brought in an envelope with my results. He looked them over like Gabe's as he set the result down. "I'm sorry Mrs. Brown, the results tell me that it will be harder for you to become pregnant. You have fewer eggs than most at your age. You only have a 5% chance of being pregnant." I couldn't believe it was really my fault. We thanked the doctor as we made our way back to the ferry. Neither one of us spoke a single word.

Gabe POV

We made it back to Hoonah and the family was waiting on the boat. I helped her in as she sat at the table with the rest of the wives. Dad was steering as the rest of us were standing on the back of the boat. "They found nothing wrong with me. We will just have a harder time getting pregnant. We only have a 5% chance of that happening." Matt put his hand on my shoulder "I'm sorry man." Each brother hugged me. I wanted to sit down with dad when we get home, I needed some advice.

Grace POV

I told them what the doctor had told me. Telling them everything, I wanted to break down but I couldn't. I couldn't in front of them. We made it back to Browntown as we went our separate ways. Gabe had his hand on my back the whole walk up the beach. He kissed my temple "I'm going to go talk to dad I'll be home in a little bit." I nodded my head as he made his way to the main house. I walked the rest of the way to our home. I opened our door to see the sun setting on our bed. I pulled off all of my clothes to put on one of my gowns. I crawled into bed as finally was able to cry. I cried hard knowing it was my fault we couldn't have kids. I cried until I fell asleep.

Gabe POV

"Dad, can I talk to you for second?" "Sure" "Why does God have to do this do me and Grace? We never lost our faith in him. Why can't he give us a baby?" I finally break down because I wanted to be strong for my wife. I didn't need to show sadness, she needed me right now. My father held me as I cried. I had never cried this hard before in my life. Mom stepped in to hug me. As my parents held me, I knew I needed to be there for my wife. The three of us hugged one last time. I walked to my house, I tried to be quiet as she was asleep. I took off my boats and jeans to lay with her. I held her as I fell asleep. 

Chris POV

It made me sick to know my wife was sleeping with another man. I looked into their window last night to see them together. It made me sick to think he put his hands on my wife. I wanted to take my gun and shut them both down like animals but I wanted to wait for the right moment. I couldn't wait to take my wife back. She was mine.