Chapter 42

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO WERE WONDERING IF HANNA GOT HER MEMORY BACK...

I can probably say with complete certainty that you did not read thoroughly. I clearly state whether or not her memory comes back in the last few sentences of the chappie, not including the A/N. So...if you are one of these people, go back and read it, otherwise you won't have an explanation for some things in this chapter xD

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Darkness has a way of finding the last ray of sunlight and destroying it."

~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 42

Max's POV

By the time a squadron of our werewolves had gotten to the mall, all traces of an attack were gone. Disappeared into thin air. I gritted my teeth in frustration, hating the fact that the mall was on the very outer edge of our borders, making it harder to access because there were so many roads and human dwellings. We couldn't have mortals asking questions. Not now of all times.

The majority of us actually had to pile in our own cars and drive here. Not to mention, the parking spaces were so hard to come upon. I ended up parking two blocks away and ran all the way here, at a normal pace of course. We could've parked in illegal places, but no one felt like dealing with the authorities. The less they were involved, the better.

Kassia was already up on her feet when we arrived, blinking her now blue eyes in disorientation. "Oh, shoot!" she gasped and whirled around. "Where's Hanna?"

William rolled over on the ground and groaned. "I feel like I just got run over by a truck."

"Not now, William!" she replied hastily. "Hanna's missing!"

I swear, those two words nearly had me going wolf in the middle of the damned mall. "What?" I snarled. I saw red as I grabbed her fragile shoulders. "What are you talking about? What happened?"

She was shaking like a leaf. "They came in through the roof. We couldn't fight them all," she added, hanging her head.

I growled. "You promised you'd keep her safe! You promised!" I roared, tightening my grip on her shoulders and felt a hard body slam into me, knocking me into the ground. I was back on my feet in an instant. "William, what the f*ck?" I yelled, strugging to keep my wolf from coming back to the surface.

~~~~~~~~~~~

William's POV

Sure my head hurt like a b*tch. Sure, some things were a little blurry, but I definitely knew that no one was allowed to hurt my mate. Ever.

So when I saw Max shaking her, my instincts kicked in and I hurled myself at him. After I saw him hit the floor, I took up a protective stance in front of Kassia, hunching low and spreading my arms out in case he dared lay a finger on her again.

"William, what the f*ck?" he shouted at me, and I saw anger flash in his darkening eyes. Sh*t.

I seethed, "Don't you dare touch her, and don't you dare speak to her like that!" Deep rumbling was emanating from my chest and the hair on the back of my neck rose.

Max snarled and got into a fighting stance as I prepared for a brawl. We were both stopped by a feathery voice yelling, "Cut it out, both of you!"

My body relaxed as Kassia lightly placed a hand on my chest, peering up at me through her thick lashes. "Don't fight each other," she pleaded. "Max, you too. We should be looking for Hanna, not causing a scene in the middle of a mall."

Grudgingly, Max and I straightened up and mumbled half *ssed apologies to each other before the three of us walked out the door, leaving a couple of wolves in there to check for any evidence.

Ashley, a female werewolf who was around Acacia's age went up to us, bowing her head slightly at Max. "The scent trail stops in the parking lot. We think they got away in a car, but we can't track it any further," she reported grimly. "All security cameras were disabled, and all tapes were destroyed. No witnesses captured it on camera."

Max let out a pained groan. It must've been killing him on the inside, but he did a good job of not letting his emotions get the better of him. "This was Sebastian. I know it." His hands were shaking. "I should've never let her go by herself."

Technically, she was with us, but I wasn't about to point that out to him when he was in such an agitated mood.