Chapter 22

My Match reached #153 on the Werewolf List, thanks so much you guys! Love youu :*

~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 22

A loud, earth-shaking boom shook the bed and I jolted out of my sleep, whipping my head from side to side. All I could see was darkness, and according to the clock, it was about three in the morning. Ugh. A lightning bolt lit up the sky outside and its flash shone through the curtains. I heard the heavy pattering of rain on the roof and sighed. I could never sleep during a thunderstorm. I didn't know why. I'd been like this since I was a little kid.

I looked over at Max, who was still sleeping soundly. Being careful as to not make any noise, I rolled out of bed and tiptoed down the hall. When I made my way down into the kitchen, I was surprised to see Kassia sitting at the island, sipping something from a mug.

I came up behind her, "Couldn't sleep either?"

"No." Kassia gestured to the window. "Storms kind of give me a little boost in power so I can't stay still or sleep."

I sat down next to her. "You just left William all by himself up there?"

"Please, he can live without me for a few hours," she snorted.

"If it weren't for you, he might not even be alive."

"Well, I had to save him. I couldn't just stand there and do nothing."

"That was very protective of you though. Maybe he invited you to sleep in his room for protection," I teased.

She rolled her eyes. "I know what you all are trying to do, and it's not gonna work."

I raised my eyebrows innocently. "What on earth are you talking about?"

"Don't even. I'm part-faerie, remember? I can sense it when you lie."

"Oh. So what else can you do?" I was genuinely curious.

"Fly, earth magic, and some other stuff, but I'm not completely trained yet."

"Who trains you?" I asked. She never said anything about training before.

"My grandma. She's a faerie, I told you guys this yesterday."

"Your grandma? She taught you all those fight moves? But..." I tried to find a polite way to say that I thought her grandma was a bit too old to be doing back-flips.

"Faeries are immortal," Kassia said softly. "They can stay young forever and they can control how old they look. In faerie years, my grandma's about...twelve years old. She just looks old on the outside because the humans would get suspicious if she never aged."

"What's a faerie year?"

"One faerie year equals ten human years. I'm one and three fifths years old in faerie years..." She thought hard. "I think. Whatever, I'm seventeen in human years."

I gasped. "Your grandma's a hundred twenty?"

"Yep. Hey, don't look so surprised, there are faeries that are like, a thousand years old in human years and still look like they're in their twenties."

"What about you?"

Kassia paused. "My grandma said that since my mom's faerie genes kind of outweighed my dad's, I'll inherit the immortality thing."

"Oh." I felt slightly upset. She could live forever. Being werewolves, so could the rest of our group. I was just a plain old human whose life could be snuffed out as quickly as a candle.

"Hanna..." Kassia said warningly. "I know what you're thinking."

"I thought you said only really powerful faeries can read minds."