Chapter 37

Chapter 37

I squinted my eyes at the unwelcome sunlight that was streaming in from the window, shining right through the ridiculously thin blinds. Memories of last night flooded through my head and I was still trying to wrap my mind around all of it. Holy crap.

Max murmured, "Good morning," and propped his chin up on one elbow. His eyes searched my face. "How are you feeling?"

I stretched, but pulled my arms back down when the blanket failed to cover everything. "A little bit sore and all, but I'll live," I said jokingly. "What time is it?"

"Six forty-eight," he yawned out. "I think we got four hours of sleep total."

I groaned, letting my head fall back onto the pillow. "Do you mind skipping today?" I couldn't believe I was asking this. Hanna Moore never skipped school. Ever. Whoops, there goes my record. Actually, my attendance record had already received a blow way back in October, the first time we met.

Max raised an eyebrow. "You want to skip?" he asked, his tone incredulous.

"I can't believe it either. Stop influencing me," I whined lightly and smacked the back of my hand against his bare chest.

He laughed. "Sorry, I guess it's just my natural charisma." When he saw my failed attempt at covering up a string of yawns, he suggested, "How about we go back to sleep for a few hours? Will and Kassia can go without us for a day."

"Sounds good to me," I agreed, rolling onto my side.

Max got out of bed and strutted to the bathroom, butt naked. "I'm just going to call in for us, and I have some paperwork to sort out, but I'll be back before you know it, alright?"

I hardly even focused on his words; in my defense, I had a pretty darn attractive boyfriend. 

The sound of the shower running eased my mind off of things, mainly my wandering thoughts about being Luna. I had no clue as to how to do this; I wasn't even a werewolf for crying out loud. I didn't really know much about the pack, unless you counted knowing their name. What was a Luna even supposed to do? 

And the whole ceremony thing was taking place in December. I was supposed to become Luna and Max was supposed to become Alpha in approximately two weeks. Where did all the time go? More importantly, what if I sucked at this? What if the pack didn't like me?

My chest had constricted a little at this point. I took deep breaths to calm myself. It was no use getting worked up over this; maybe they had like, a handbook or something that I could read. 

Then, there it was. That voice in my head.

Hanna, you don't need to worry about being Luna. I know you'll do just fine.

Gee, thanks, I shot back. Why do you keep popping up like this? Who are you, really? My mind went in reverse, all the way back to the dream that I had, the only dream that I had actually remembered completely out of all of them. What, are you Elainne or something? 

I didn't even really know what I was talking about, but the sudden silence inside my head was a dead giveaway.

How...how do you know my name? she asked cautiously. 

I snorted out loud. Sebastian mentioned it in my dream. So, according to him, you're the reason as to why this freaky sh*t has been happening to me. What did you 'block' exactly?

I...I really don't know what to say. You know my name, but do you know who I am?

What's the difference? You're Elainne, that's who you are.