Chapter 12

Chapter 12

As soon as my eyes closed and sleep overcame me, I expected the nightmares to make a comeback. But they didn't. I slept soundly throughout the night, suspecting that Max's presence next to me had something to do with it. Whatever it was, I wasn't going to complain.

~~~~~~~~~~~

I awoke to the smell of food and I felt a heavy weight pressing on my stomach. Max's arm was slung over my waist in his sleep and our legs were tangled. I blushed at our position, but then I focused my attention on his sleeping face. He looked so innocent and all traces of worry were removed.

I had a sudden urge to just see if this was real, if he was actually there with me, if he stayed. Carefully lifting my arm, I traced his facial features with my finger. Yep, this wasn't a dream. Then his blue eyes shot open and focused on me. I'll admit, he startled me, and I jumped back a little.

That signature smirk of his was back on his face as he noticed my hand still lingering on his cheek. "Just can't keep your hands off, hmm?" he teased, making me turn red. He gently caught my hand in his and pressed it to his lips. "That's okay, I can't seem to, either."

How did he manage to be cocky one moment and turn all mushy in the next? A small smile made its way onto my face and I shut my eyes and remained still for a few minutes, hoping for sleep to come back to me. No such luck.

Mrs. Thomas's voice rang out from some floor below us, "BREAKFAST IS IN HALF AN HOUR! RISE AND SHINE!"

I groaned and rubbed my eyes, then glanced over at Max. My God, he fell asleep again? I mean, not to be rude, but his mom had a very uh...loud and booming voice that probably woke up the neighbors too...

I patted his cheek, "Wake up, your mom said it's time for breakfast."

He continued to sleep and I sighed, wondering how I was going to get him up. I certainly wasn't going to scream at him; his family probably wouldn't like that...

A dark haired figure burst into my room and dove onto the bed, right on top of Max with a painful-sounding thump. He woke up with a yell and Acacia just sat there on his abdomen, grinning evilly. I laughed, Acacia to the rescue.

She began to bounce up and down on his stomach. "WAKEY WAKEY MAX! COME DOWN FOR A FAMILY BREAKFAST!"

I stifled another round of giggles. His family was downright hilarious.

Max moaned, "Five more minutes?"

Acacia shook her head furiously. "NO. C'MON, WAKE UP!!"

He sat up sharply and she tumbled off of him, landing in the mess of blankets. "ALRIGHT, I'M UP!" He glared at her. "If I had had any food still digesting in my stomach, you can bet it would've come right back up after that."

I fake-gagged. Okay, so I'm not the most indifferent person ever when it comes to stuff like...ach, vomit and blood.

She rolled out of bed and shook her mane of hair. "I'll meet you guys downstairs in a few minutes! Don't get carried away up here," she added as an afterthought. Then she skipped out of the room.

My face was red at her last comment and Max was glaring at the door even after she left. Was Acacia always a sexually implying kind of person? I wanted to laugh.

I stuck one of my legs out from under the blanket, but pulled it back in immediately. "Geez! It's so cold!"

Max rolled his eyes playfully. "It's October, silly," he said in a 'duh' tone while he grinned. "And we always keep the house at a toasty sixty-something degrees...I think."